Summary: Elementary Statistics has been written for the introductory statistics course and students majoring in any field. Although the use of algebra is minimal, students should have completed at least an elementary algebra course. In many cases, underlying theory is included, but this book does not stress the mathematical rigor more suitable for mathematics majors. Triola is the #1 best seller in the market long recognized for its student-friendly pedagogy and wealth of exe ...show morercises using real data. The ninth edition offers new large and small data sets, a greater emphasis on interpreting results, and improved flexible technology coverage with many examples and exercises covering a wide variety of different and interesting statistical applications.Edition/Copyright: 9TH 04
- Changes and Highlights of the Ninth Edition
- Interpreting Results: Throughout the book there is even greater emphasis on interpreting results. Instead of simply obtaining answers, students are asked to make sense of the results and, where appropriate, state a practical conclusion. Worked examples in the text model this approach.
- Margin Essays: The text includes 120 margin essays, including new Statistics in the News margin essays, which illustrate uses and abuses of statistics in real, practical, and interesting applications.
- There are over 1500 exercises--more than 58 percent of them new, including more of the simpler exercises based on small data sets. Also, many more of the exercises require interpretation of results and 64% use real data.
- Technology Icons: Clearly identified are exercises based on larger data sets from Appendix B, which are best completed by using software or a graphing calculator.
- Data Sets: Appendix B now includes 30 large data sets (instead of 20), including 14 that are new.
- Technology: STATDISK, Minitab, Excel, and TI-83 PLUS instructions and output appear throughout the text.
- Chapter-opening features: A list of chapter sections previews the chapter for the student; a chapter-opening problem, using real data, then motivates the chapter material; and the first section is a chapter overview that provides a statement of the chapter's objectives.
- End-of-chapter features:
- A Chapter Review summarizes the key concepts and topics of the chapter;
- Review Exercises offer practice on the chapter concepts and procedures;
- Cumulative Review Exercises reinforce earlier material;
- From Data to Decision: Critical Thinking capstone problems; Cooperative Group Activities; Technology Projects; Internet Projects are included in every chapter.
- Interviews: Every chapter of the text includes new and updated author-conducted interviews with professional men and women in a variety of fields who use statistics in their day-to-day work.
- Tables: There is a new format for the important normal distribution in Table A-2: Cumulative areas from the left are now listed on two pages. Table A-3 has been expanded to include more of the larger sample sizes for the Student t distribution.
- Quick-Reference Endpapers: Tables A-2 and A-3 (the normal and t distributions) are reproduced on the inside cover. A symbol table is included at the back of the book for quick and easy reference to key symbols.
Publisher: Addison-Wesley Longman, Inc.
Year Published: 2004
Other Editions of Elementary Statistics / With CD-ROM: