Summary: This best-selling K to 8 math methods text has the most coverage of NCTMs principles and standards, the strongest coverage of middle school mathematics and the highest student approval of any other text on the market. Edition/Copyright: 5TH 04
Elementary and Middle School Mathematics provides an unparalleled depth of ideas and discussion to help students develop a real understanding of the mathematics they will teach. John Van de Walle is one of the foremost experts on how children ...show more learn mathematics, and 80 percent of students keep his book for reference when they enter the classroom. The text reflects the NCTM Principles and Standards and the benefits of constructivist, or student-centered, mathematics instruction. Moreover, it is structured for maximum flexibility, offering 24 brief, compartmentalized chapters that may be mixed and matched to fit any course or teaching approach.
New To This Edition
- Four-color design.
- Stronger coverage of middle school mathematics topics than any other book on the market.
- The most coverage of the 2000 NCTM's Principles and Standards on the market. This text provides a textual discussion (Ch.1), the actual Content and Teaching standards (App. A, B), and references throughout the text, denoted by a (NEW!) NCTM marginal icon.
- The numerous activities found in every content chapter are problem-based tasks that engage students in doing mathematics. The activities help make this book a resource as well as a textbook.
- Widely admired pedagogy includes Big Ideas, which provide clear and succinct exploration of the most critical concepts in mathematics; Literature Connections that offer strategies for teaching math through specific children's literature; and Assessment Notes that show how assessment is an integral part of instruction.
- TECHNOLOGY ADVANTAGE--Technology Notes in every chapter provide a focused discussion of how computer software can help (or hinder!) mathematics teaching.
- NEW! Content Connections feature in the content chapters includes brief descriptions of other content areas in mathematics that are related to the content of the current chapter. These highlight the connections between content topics.
- NEW! NCTM icons appear in nearly every chapter and point explicitly to the alignment of this book with the NCTM Principles and Standards through excerpts and commentary.
- NEW! "Investigations in Number, Data, and Space and Connected Mathematics" features spotlight two examples of popular reform curricula for the K-5th and 5th-8th grade markets, respectively. These reform curricula excerpts occur in nearly every chapter in Section 2 and include an actual activity and provide a description to acquaint students with these materials, reflecting the spirit of the NCTM Standards and the constructivist theory in the book.
- NEW! "Stop and Reflect" features indicate places throughout the book to pause and become truly engaged with an idea.
- NEW! Field Guide for Students features reproducible handout masters, grids, questionnaires, activities, and other resources students can use during their field experiences.
- REVISED! The inclusion chapter (Ch. 7) has been thoroughly revised and enhanced to include more in-depth coverage of multicultural issues and ethnomathematics, as well as other issues related to special needs.
- REVISED! The technology chapter (Ch. 8) has been enhanced to show the most cutting-edge technology for elementary mathematics teaching, including online tools, such as NCTM's e-standards, and available computer programs and electronics.
- REVISED! The geometry chapter (Ch. 20) is completely revised to reflect the four goals of the NCTM Standards--Shapes and Properties, Transformations, Location, and Visualization.
Publisher: Longman, Inc.
Other Editions of Elementary and Middle School Mathematics : Teaching Developmentally: