EN CONTACTO: GRAMÁTICA EN ACCIÓN is a best-selling intermediate Spanish program designed to put the English-speaking learner in touch with contemporary Hispanic culture through its language and literature. The program stresses communication and, when used with the LECTURAS INTERMEDIAS volume, emphasizes the acquisition of reading skills and text comprehension.
- NEW! Two new chapter themes have been added (En busca de la felicidad and Amor y amistad) with dynamic new discussion/writing topics and many new activities.
- Exciting text-tied video segments relate to chapter theme and content as they take students to Spanish-speaking countries. Videos include close-up interviews with native professionals in unique cultural settings.
- Solid grammar explanations which are personalized and contextualized, are easy for students to understand.
- Functional vocabulary presentations focus on high-frequency words in a clear sequence and not overwhelming students with words they may never need.
- Following each grammar presentation, "Prácticas" encourage creative use of the targeted structures through open-ended activities.
- The "En contacto" section provides games, and pair and group activities for additional speaking opportunities that recycle vocabulary and grammar. A guided "Composición" gets students to put it all in writing.
- The Annotated Instructor's Edition provides answers for in-text exercises and activities plus helpful teaching suggestions on presenting material, expands on in-text activities, and provides cultural insights and special annotations coordinating and cross-referencing GRAMÁTICA EN ACCIÓN with LECTURAS INTERMEDIAS.
- Each chapter also addresses practical language functions, both in the "Para escuchar" listening segments and in the "En otras palabras" activities.
- There are many pair and group activities and many more ideas for pair-group work in the annotations, but there is also traditional practice so instructors can use the book in various ways depending on their teaching style.
- Creative use of margins to include proverbs and insightful quotes extend and deepen exposure to small-c culture in a casual and expeditious way and serve at times for spontaneous use by the teacher as a mood-lifter to change the pace in the class routine.
- NEW! The composition assignments, "A escribir," are cross-referenced to Atajo 4.0 Writing Assistant Software for Spanish. In many cases there is now more than one option for writing practice while providing new annotations to give instructors assistance in using a true process approach to writing. The emphasis in this section is on exactness and accuracy of expression which will then influence the improvement of students' speaking, listening and reading skills.
- NEW! The "Presentación del tema" opening sections have been rewritten and/or updated to reflect current world events and introduce new and exciting readings and topics of conversation to appeal to the interests of today's students.
- NEW! New Internet activities have been added which expand exercises into real and current Spanish topics and context.
- NEW! Several new Para escuchar segments serve to enhance the listening skills of the students.
- NEW! EN CONTACTO now has updated state-of-the-art support and enhancement of Internet connections to the text themes and ideas at the program's website. The website brings the wired world into contact with EN CONTACTO for the technically savvy student, and lends support and instruction on this for those who are less savvy and need some help.
- NEW! Many new pieces of art and realia serve as the basis for activities. These carefully selected photos, humorous cartoons, thought-provoking realia, and charts work well to elicit discussion among students.
- NEW! Additional communicative activities have been added throughout the text in the "Gramática y vocabulario" sections, and there are many additional annotations for the instructor.
- The strength of EN CONTACTO is how well the grammar, reader, workbook and video fit together in theme, vocabulary and structures. This creates an environment in which language is repeated, recycled and enhanced both passively and actively to promote language acquisition and increased fluency. This also allows for flexibility and enables the teacher to pick, modify and design their own program.