Summary: This book offers advanced geology students an in-depth, quantitative approach to environmental engineering, with a special emphasis on the recognition and avoidance of geologic hazards. Drawing on real-life examples, the book handles:
- Rock and soil mechanics, including slope stability and surficial deposits
- Geophysical issues and earthquake hazards
- Hydrolo ...show moregical concerns,groundwater, and fluvial and coastal processes
More than 100 figures illustrate the concepts, and the author provides over 1,000 references.
This classic textbook has been completely revised and updated to include analyses of recent geologic disasters, including:
- The Loma Prieta, Northridge, and Kobe earthquakes,
- Hurricane Andrew
- The Mississippi floods of 1993.
The first edition of Engineering Geology, released in 1986, has garnered broad praise and numerous awards, including:
The Claire P. Holdredge Award for the best publication of the year, given by the Association of Engineering Geologists in 1987, and The E.B. Burwell, Jr. Award for the best publication of the year, given by the Engineering Geology Division of the Geological Society of America.
Prentice Hall PTR, Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458 ...show lessEdition/Copyright: 2ND 96
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.