English Simplified - at only 72 pages - is a concise, inexpensive grammar handbook that covers grammar usage, paragraphs, essays, and research and documentation.
English Simplified has long been the choice of instructors searching for a brief, inexpensive, easy-to-use handbook. English Simplified, Eleventh Edition, continues to provide comprehensive coverage of grammar, punctuation, mechanics, spelling, word choice, and includes tips for ESL writers, easy-to-read tables that clarify verb tenses and forms, the latest updates on documentation style, and material on note-taking, source evaluation, and avoiding plagiarism. A separate, inexpensive exercise book is also available.
- Students have a concise and inexpensive quick-handy reference for grammar rules that they can afford in addition to other textbooks assigned.
- Easily portable and 3-hole punched, encourages students to integrate the text with their course notebooks.
- An Exercise Book has been completely revised and updated, and is available separately.
- Thorough coverage of note-taking, evaluating sources, and avoiding plagiarism reflects current trends in research. The Eleventh Edition offers material on Internet research, taking notes from electronic sources, and evaluating and citing these sources in MLA and APA styles.
- Special ESL Tips have been included on prepositions, verb forms, articles and determiners, dependent clauses, subject-verb agreement, and other topics.
- Sample student paragraphs show students that they can also write paragraphs at a professional level.
- Full Sample Bibliography and Works Cited pages give students an easy reference guide to what a complete, properly formatted sources page should look like.
- Coverage of E-mail and Netiquette rules stress this writing platform becoming a primary means of communication in academia.
- Emphasis on the 3 most common sentence-level errors helps students avoid the most common grammatical pitfalls-comma splices, fused sentences, and fragments.
New To This Edition
- Locating information has been made easier through an expansion ofthe book from 64 to 72 pages. This has eased crowding of material and enabled format changes to speed the finding of information. A detailed table of contents is now up front. Section numbering has been improved to better clarify exact location of items. The section on verb forms has been broken into subsections for quicker reference. Running heads are more detailed and in larger print.
- Improved graphics aid learning as information has been recast from paragraph to list or chart form. Boxes, lines, or arrows clarify many examples. A new example type font permits easier reading of punctuation and italics. The research paper documentation chart has been revised for clarity. Notes have been boxed to more clearly distinguish them from main text.
- Several sections have been rewritten, relocated, and added to amplify the usability. "Parallel Structure" has been rewritten with new graphics. The extensive list of irregular verb forms has been merged with "Principal Parts." Clauses and phrases are now introduced earlier to ease understanding of related topics. A new sample essay includes an explanatory introduction. The correction chart, dropped from the tenth edition because of lack of space, has been restored. Many of the examples are new.