Summary: A comprehensive introduction to middle school teaching, this textbook focuses explicitly on instructional strategies that encourage adolescents to become active participants in their own learning within a world of accountability and standardized testing. The author, an experienced middle school teacher and teacher educator, takes a constructivist approach to teaching that considers the whole child, including the emotional, psychological, social, and cultural variable ...show mores uniquely associated with adolescence. The text examines the full range of middle school topics, from the development and diversity of middle school learners, to the structures, curriculum, and management of the classroom itself.
Special features include:
- "Empowering Middle School Students to Take Ownership of their Learning," "Teaching Scenario," "Key Points," and "Creating an Anti-Oppressive Atmosphere in Your Classroom" textboxes help teachers gain a clearer understanding of content presented and encourage them to become reflective practitioners.
- Callouts throughout explicitly link chapter content to NMSA standards.
- Discussion of the unique challenges of actively engaging bilingual students, special needs students, and students exhibiting antisocial behavior.
- Accounts about middle school students illustrate the ways adolescents think about school and learning.
- A chapter that focuses on ways teachers can apply the general teaching strategies to specific subject areas.
- Sample Lesson Plans, Focus Questions, Chapter Summaries, Journal Entries, and Student Activities/Assignments are included throughout to encourage readers to actively participate with the text. ...show less
11 more offers below.