Summary: Epidemiologic speculations and research findings increasingly blaze across media headlines and heighten anxiety among the public. Understanding the foundations of such news can be daunting. Now in its third edition, Epidemiology for Public Health Practice has become a favorite textbook for undergraduate and graduate students new to epidemiology by providing a comprehensive look at all major topics, from study designs and descriptive epidemiology, to quantitative meas ...show moreures and terminology. Distinguishing itself from other texts with its accessible writing style and immediacy of information presented, the Third Edition has been extensively revised, with updated data and statistics essential to understanding the importance of epidemiology to public health.Edition/Copyright: 3RD 04
- Updated case studies throughout the book demonstrating the real world application of epidemiologic concepts that students can apply in subsequent coursework or in employment settings.
- Coverage of contemporary and historical underpinnings of the field, such as: anthrax, bioterrorism, the SARS epidemic, the work of William Farr, and landmark achievements of epidemiology.
- A new chapter on Cohort Study Designs, providing in-depth coverage of life table methods, examples of major cohort studies, and a table that compares observational study designs.
- Increased coverage of diverse populations and sub-populations to reflect the growing diversity of the American society and to help reduce disparities among these groups.
- A glossary of terms that allows students quick access to major terms used in the field.
- An added appendix that provides a guide to the critical appraisal of an epidemiologic/public health research article.
- Coverage of specific content areas for applications of epidemiology, including a separate chapter on environmental health, molecular and genetic epidemiology, and psychosocial epidemiology.
Publisher: Jones & Bartlett Publishers
Year Published: 2004
Other Editions of Epidemiology for Public Health Practice: