Summary: Essential Biology is a brief non-majors biology textbook that combines clear writing, real-world applications, vivid art, and powerful media to teach students the important concepts of biology and give them an appreciation for how biology relates to their everyday lives. The book covers four major biological topics--cells, genetics, evolution/diversity, and ecology--and uses evolution as an overarching theme to tie all 20 chapters together. In the Second Edition, bes ...show moret-selling authors Neil Campbell and Jane Reece are joined by Eric Simon, who uses his experience teaching non-majors biology to keep the text both accessible and up to date. To help students become informed citizens, the new edition features even more human applications and up-to-date information on important issues like DNA technology, cloning, and global warming. New Biology and Society essays at the beginning of each chapter hook students' attention, and new visual summaries at the end of each chapter help students reinforce their understanding of key concepts. Edition/Copyright: 2ND 04
New To This Edition
- Focused coverage of core concepts makes this brief book manageable for one-semester courses.
- A clear, friendly writing style is a hallmark of this text. The text contains the appropriate level of depth for the non-majors student and has a solid reputation for accuracy.
- CheckPoint Questions at the end of each section allow students to assess their understanding of the material they have just read.
- Media References direct students to interactive tutorials that further explain key concepts. All media resources are found on the accompanying CD-ROM and website. Activities are assignable and automatically graded.
- Evolution Connections at the end of each chapter join the chapter content to the overarching theme of evolution.
- Process of Science and Biology and Society Questions encourage students to think critically and actively apply their knowledge.
- The student CD-ROM and website included with each new copy includes 200 activities, 56 case studies in the Process of Science, pre-tests, activities quizzes, and chapter quizzes.
- Biology and Society application essays open each chapter, drawing students into the material and showing them how it is relevant to their lives. Topics range from lactose intolerance to stonewashed jeans to fertility drugs.
- Visual Summaries at the end of each chapter use illustrations to help students review and tie together difficult concepts.
- Increased use of human examples throughout the book shows students how biology relates to their own lives.
- New Chapter 5: The Working Cell takes certain topics from Chapters 4 and 5 of the First Edition and combines them into a new chapter that focuses on basic concepts of energy and membrane transport.
- Updated Chapters 11 and 12 clearly explain the latest research on cloning, stem cells, cancer, and DNA technology, focusing on applications.
- Expanded Instructor Media Resources now include PowerPoint® Lectures, an Image Library, and Course Management Systems.
- Downloadable Instructor Resources and Supplements will be available online, easily accessible from the text's catalog page.
- Benjamin Cummings Special Topic Series includes four books that introduce students to the exciting and engaging topics of biological terrorism, cancer biology, the Human Genome Project, and stem cells and cloning. Great for classroom discussions! Instructors may choose one of these four books to include free with the text.
Publisher: Benjamin-Cummings Publishing Co.
Other Editions of Essential Biology - With CD: