Summary: Lial/Salzman's Essential Mathematics, 2e, gives students the necessary tools to succeed in developmental math courses and prepares them for future math courses and the rest of their lives. The Lial developmental team creates a pattern for success by emphasizing problem-solving skills, vocabulary comprehension, real-world applications, and strong exercise sets. In keeping with its proven track record, this revision includes an effective new design, many new exercises ...show moreand applications, and increased Summary Exercises to enhance comprehension and challenge students' knowledge of the subject matter. Features Edition/Copyright: 2ND 06
New To This Edition
- More real-life applications are included in this edition, in addition to updating many of your favorites. Examples and exercises throughout the text focus on real-life applications of mathematics and provide a modern context that will appeal to and motivate students. A comprehensive List of Applications appears at the beginning of the text.
- Test Your Word Power To help students understand and master mathematical vocabulary, this feature has been incorporated in each chapter summary. Key terms from the chapter are presented along with four possible definitions in a multiple-choice format. Answers and examples illustrating each term are also provided.
- Diagnostic Pretest A diagnostic pretest is included at the beginning of the text and covers all the material in the book, much like a sample final exam. This pretest can be used to facilitate student placement in the correct chapter according to skill level.
- Emphasis on Problem Solving Introduced in Chapter 3, the six-step problem-solving method is integrated throughout the text. The six steps, Read, Plan, Estimate, Solve, State the Answer, and Check, are emphasized in boldface type and repeated in examples and exercises to reinforce the problem-solving process for students. The text now includes new Problem Solving Hint boxes and an appendix on problem-solving that will help students learn and develop problem solving skills.
- Ample Opportunity for Review Each chapter concludes with a Chapter Summary that features Key Terms with definitions and helpful graphics, New Symbols, Test Your Word Power, and a Quick Review of each section's content with additional examples. A comprehnsive set of Chapter Review Exercises, keyed to individual sections is included, as are Mixed Review Exercises, and a Chapter Test.
- Focus on Real-Data Applications These one-page activities present a relevant and in-depth look at how mathematics is used in the real world. Designed to help instructors answer the often-asked question, "When will I ever use this?" these activities ask students to read and interpret data from newspaper articles, the Internet, and other familiar, real sources. The activities are well suited to collaborative work and can also be completed by individuals or used for open-ended classroom discussions. Instructor teaching notes and extensions for the activities are provided in the Printed Test Bank and Instructor's Resource Guide.
- Calculator Tips These optional tips, marked with calculator icons, offer basic information and instruction for students using calculators in the course. A new Introduction to Calculators has also been included at the beginning of the text, and problems suitable for calculator work are marked with an icon in the exercise sets.
- Study Skills Workbook A desk-light icon at key points in the text directs students to the Study Skills Workbook where they will learn how to use the textbook effectively, plan their homework, take notes, manage study time, and prepare for and take tests. They will find out how their brain learns and remembers, so they'll understand why the study skills activities will increase their success in this course.
- MyMathLab MyMathLab is a series of text-specific, easily customizable online courses for Addison-Wesley textbooks in mathematics and statistics. MyMathLab is powered by CourseCompass ® --Pearson Education's online teaching and learning environment--and by MathXL® --our online homework, tutorial, and assessment system. MyMathLab gives you the tools you need to deliver all or a portion of your course online, whether your students are in a lab setting or working from home. MyMathLab provides a rich and flexible set of course materials, featuring free-response exercises that are algorithmically-generated for unlimited practice and mastery. Students can also use online tools, such as video lectures, animations, and a multimedia textbook, to independently improve their understanding and performance. Instructors can use MyMathLab's homework and test managers to select and assign online exercises correlated directly to the textbook, and they can import TestGen tests into MyMathLab for added flexibility. MyMathLab's online gradebook--designed specifically for mathematics and statistics--automatically tracks students' homework and test results and gives the instructor control over how to calculate final grades.
- MathXL® MathXL® is a powerful online homework, tutorial, and assessment system that accompanies your Addison -Wesley textbook in mathematics or statistics. With MathXL, instructors can create, edit, and assign online homework and tests using algorithmically-generated exercises correlated at the objective level to your textbook. All student work is tracked in MathXL's online gradebook. Students can take chapter tests in MathXL and receive personalized study plans based on their test results. The study plan diagnoses weaknesses and links students directly to tutorial exercises for the objectives they need to study and retest. Students can also access supplemental animations and video clips directly from selected exercises. MathXL is available to qualified adopters. For more information, visit our website at www.mathxl.com, or contact your Addison-Wesley sales representative for a product demonstration.
- MathXL ® Tutorials on CD This interactive tutorial CD-ROM provides algorithmically generated practice exercises that are correlated at the objective level to the exercises in the textbook. Every practice exercise is accompanied by an example and a guided solution designed to involve students in the solution process. Selected exercises may also include a video clip to help students visualize concepts. The software tracks student activity and scores and can generate printed summaries of students' progress.
- Digital Video Tutor The video lectures for this text are also available on CD-ROM, making it easy and convenient for students to watch the videos from a computer at home or on campus. The complete digitized video set, affordable and portable for students, is ideal for distance learning or supplemental instruction.
- Addison-Wesley Math Tutor Center The Addison-Wesley Math Tutor Center is staffed by qualified mathematics and statistics instructors who provide students with tutoring on examples and odd-numbered exercises from the textbook. Tutoring is available via toll-free telephone, toll-free fax, e-mail, and the Internet. Interactive, web-based technology allows tutors and students to view and work through problems together in real time over the Internet. For more information, please visit our website at www.aw-bc.com/tutorcenter or call us at 1-888-777-0463.
- NEW More real-life applications are included in this edition, in addition to updating many of your favorites. Examples and exercises throughout the text focus on real-life applications of mathematics and provide a modern context that will appeal to and motivate students. A comprehensive List of Applications appears at the beginning of the text.
- NEW Chapter Openers These new chapter openers feature real-world applications of mathematics that are relevant to students and tied to specific material within the chapters. Examples of topics include cell phones, home improvements, and work/career applications.
- NEW Figures and Photos Today's students are more visually oriented than ever. Thus, the authors have made a concerted effort to add mathematical figures, diagrams, tables, and graphs whenever possible. Many of the graphs use a style similar to that seen by students in today's print and electronic media. Photos have been incorporated to enhance applications in examples and exercises.
- NEW Summary Exercises More in-chapter summary exercises have been included at the mid-point of crucial chapters. These exercises provide the opportunity for students to gauge their understanding of topics including fractions, percent, perimeter, circumference, and area, operations with signed numbers, and more. The placement of these exercises will ensure that students have the necessary comprehension of material from the beginning of the chapter that will allow them to succeed in learning the more difficult concepts usually found towards the end.
- NEW Videotapes These completely new videos now include electronic math for better visual presentation of the content, section quizzes for better comprehension, and animated lecture launchers to keep students motivated. The lecturers' presentations will continue to include examples and exercises from the text and support an approach that emphasizes visualization and problem solving.
Publisher: Addison-Wesley Longman, Inc.
Year Published: 2006