Summary: With its complete, interactive, objective-based approach, Essential Mathematics with Applications is a best-seller in this market. The Seventh Edition provides mathematically sound and comprehensive coverage of the topics considered essential in an arithmetic course. The text includes chapter-opening Prep Tests, updated applications, and a new design. A robust Instructor's Annotated Edition features a comprehensive selection of instructor support materials. The Aufma ...show morenn Interactive Method is incorporated throughout the text, ensuring that students interact with and master the concepts as they are presented. This approach is especially important in the context of rapidly growing distance-learning and self-paced laboratory situations. Edition/Copyright: 7TH 05
- New! Study Tips margin notes provide point-of-use advice and refer students back to the AIM for Success preface for support where appropriate.
- Integrating Technology (formerly Calculator Notes) margin notes provide suggestions for using a calculator in certain situations. For added support and quick reference, a scientific calculator screen is displayed on the inside back cover of the text.
- Enhanced! More bulleted annotations have been added to the solution steps of examples and to the You Try It solutions in the appendix.
- Enhanced! Examples have been clearly labeled How To, making them more prominent to the student.
- Enhanced! More operation application problems integrated into the Applying the Concepts exercises encourage students to judge which operation is needed to solve a word problem.
- New! Nearly 100 new photos add real-world appeal and motivation.
- Revised! The Chapter Summary has been reformatted to include an example column, offering students increased visual support.
- Enhanced! In response to instructor feedback, the number of Chapter Review Exercises and Cumulative Review Exercises has increased.
- Enhanced! This edition features additional coverage of time (Chapter 8), bytes (Chapter 9), and temperature (Chapter 11).
- Aufmann Interactive Method (AIM) Every section objective contains one or more sets of matched-pair examples that encourage students to interact with the text. The first example in each set is completely worked out; the second example, called 'You Try It,' is for the student to work. By solving the You Try It, students practice concepts as they are presented in the text. Complete worked-out solutions to these examples in an appendix enable students to check their solutions and obtain immediate reinforcement of the concept. While similar texts offer only final answers to examples, the Aufmann texts' complete solutions help students identify their mistakes and prevent frustration.
- Integrated learning system organized by objectives. Each chapter begins with a list of learning objectives that form the framework for a complete learning system. The objectives are woven throughout the text (in Exercises, Chapter Tests, and Cumulative Reviews) and also connect the text with the print and multimedia ancillaries. This results in a seamless, easy-to-navigate learning system.
- AIM for Success Student Preface explains what is required of a student to be successful and demonstrates how the features in the text foster student success. AIM for Success can be used as a lesson on the first day of class or as a project for students to complete. The Instructor's Resource Manual offers suggestions for teaching this lesson. Study Tip margin notes throughout the text also refer students back to the Student Preface for advice.
- Prep Tests at the beginning of each chapter help students prepare for the upcoming material by testing them on prerequisite material learned in preceding chapters. The answers to these questions can be found in the Answer Appendix, along with a reference (except for chapter 1) to the objective from which the question was taken, which encourages students who miss a question to review the objective. The Go Figure problem that follows the Prep Test is a challenge problem for interested students. The solutions to many of these problems require skills that are used in the upcoming chapter.
- Extensive use of applications that use real source data shows students the value of mathematics as a real-life tool. Chapter openers have been updated with new photos and captions illustrating and referencing a specific application from the chapter.
- Focus on Problem Solving section at the end of each chapter introduces students to various problem-solving strategies. Students are encouraged to write their own strategies and draw diagrams in order to find solutions. These strategies are integrated throughout the text. Several open-ended problems are included, resulting in more than one right answer and strengthening problem-solving skills.
- Unique Verbal/Mathematical connection is achieved by simultaneously introducing a verbal phrase with a mathematical operation. Exercises following the presentation of a new operation require that students make a connection between a phrase and a mathematical process.
- Projects and Group Activities at the end of each chapter offer ideas for cooperative learning. Ideal as extra-credit assignments, these projects cover various aspects of mathematics, including the use of calculators, collecting data from the Internet, data analysis, and extended applications.
- Unique Instructor's Annotated Edition features a format rich with new instructor support materials, which are provided at point-of-use in the margins surrounding reduced student pages. (Answers to exercises and PowerPoint icons appear on the reduced student page.)
- Eduspace helps instructors take the proven Aufmann Interactive Method to the next level. Eduspace provides instructors with online courses and content in multiple disciplines. By pairing the widely recognized tools of Blackboard with high-quality, text-specific content from Houghton Mifflin, Eduspace makes it easy for instructors to create all or part of a course online. Homework exercises, quizzes, tests, tutorials, and supplemental study materials all come ready to use. Instructors can choose to use the content as is, modify it, or even add their own. Students using Eduspace can review and reinforce concepts with interactive tutorials, prepare for tests using practice exercises, and access all material 24 hours a day.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Year Published: 2005
Other Editions of Essential Mathematics With Applications: