This edition has also been released as:
Summary: For one-term courses in organic chemistry taken by science and pre-health professions majorsEdition/Copyright: 06
This one-term organic chemistry text is designed to help students see organic chemistry as an interesting and exciting science and to give them an opportunity to develop critical thinking skills. It engages students by presenting reactions with enough detail to give them a solid understanding of reactivity, rather than requiring rote memorization. Once students und ...show moreerstand the reasons behind the reactivity of organic compounds, they then will be better prepared to understand the reactions involved in such areas as metabolism, PCR, and genetic engineering.
- Focus on mechanisms to enhance understanding over memory.
- Students will retain better if they understand the material.
- The most important reactions for what students who take the course need.
- Helps student focus most heavily on what they truly need
- Clear and accessible writing style-makes the material easy for students to understand.
- In-chapter Problems at the end of each section-enable students to monitor their progress by checking their understanding before moving on.
- Approximately 100 special interest boxes throughout the text-designed to show studentsthe connection between organic chemistry and familiar aspects of their world.
- Examples include trans fats, Splenda®, dissolving sutures, artificial blood, polymers for contact lenses, the colors of fruits and vegetables, environmental adaptation, olestra, statins, sunscreens, chiral drugs, biodegradable polymers, flea control, ozone layer, carcinogenic hydrocarbons, cholesterol levels, lactose intolerance, and more
- Reactions organized according to similar mechanisms
- Helps students recognize similarities and patterns to increase understanding.
- 30 problem solving strategies, each followed by an exercise that gives students an opportunity to use the problem-solving skill just learned-teaches students how to approach a variety of problems, organize their thoughts, and improve their problem-solving abilities.
- Many problems solved step-by-step throughout the text-helps students learn how to approach and solve problems before testing themselves at the end of the chapter.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Year Published: 2006