This edition has also been released as:
Summary: Richard Wolfson's Essential University Physics is a concise and progressive calculus-based physics textbook that offers clear writing, great problems, and interesting real-life applications. At nearly half the length and half the price of other physics texts on the market, Essential University Physics is a compelling alternative for professors who want to focus on the fundamentals. Edition/Copyright: 07
Based on Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Wolfson and Pasachoff, Essent ...show moreial University Physics retains many of the lauded features of the original text, while introducing new pedagogical elements derived from physics education research. The text focuses on the fundamentals of physics, teaches sound problem-solving skills, emphasizes conceptual understanding, and makes connections to the real world. Features such as annotated figures and step-by-step problem-solving strategies help provide a clear learning path for students.
The crisp two-color design is clear and engaging. The art incorporates the author's voice annotations, pencil-style sketches, and visual chapter summaries. A self-evident hierarchy of screens organizes the pedagogical features, which allows the student to navigate easily through the material.
Volume two is the second of two volumes of Essential University Physics. The two-volume set is also available shrink-wrapped together.
- Focus on the fundamentals:
- The overarching theme is physics has a simple, elementary foundation that underlies seemingly disconnected topics.
- To Learn and To Know features offer learning goals and topics to review at each chapter's outset to highlight the chapter's key skills and ideas and its connections to other chapters.
- Key equations and definitions are on screened boxes with titles and explanatory material, so that students will not simply grab a bare equation with no sense as to how it is applied.
- Tips offer concise explanatory or cautionary notes for typical misconceptions and identify the fundamental connections between new and old topics.
- Visual chapter and part summaries present the big picture and provide visual reviews that focus on the concepts and connections of chapter material with an emphasis on multiple representations (words, math, and figures) of concepts.
- Teach sound problem-solving skills:
- The consistent and explicit problem-solving strategy is designed to develop students' confidence and skill in systematically setting up problems rather than diving into the math.
- The IDEA (Interpret, Develop, Evaluate, and Assess) framework, used in every worked example, begins with a problem's key ideas, stresses the importance of planning a solution and drawing a diagram, moves through the math, checks for reasonable answers, and relates the problem's content to a broader understanding of physics.
- Strategy boxes provide specialized versions of the global strategy, adapted to specific topics.
- Pencil-style illustrations in worked examples show realistic figures that a student should draw.
- Tactics boxes review mathematical topics and develop individual skills.
- Emphasize conceptual understanding:
- Got It?questions present multiple-choice and ranking task problems in most sections to focus reading and identify misconceptions.
- The EOC section For Thought and Discussion contains qualitative questions that test understanding and promote collaborative reading with peers.
- Every worked example begins by interpreting what a problem asks and identifying the relevant concepts.
- Connect to the real world:
- Every chapter has an Application box exploring a modern, cutting-edge use of the chapter's physics in the world.
- Informed by physics education research, context-rich problems in the end-of-chapter material require students to analyze the significant factors in physical scenarios set in the real world.
- Chapter-opener photos showcase examples of physics in everyday life along with thought provoking questions.
Publisher: Addison-Wesley Longman, Inc.
Year Published: 2007
Other Editions of Essential University Physics, Volume 2: