This edition has also been released as:
Summary: This basic text is written for courses focusing on the introductory care and prevention of athletic injuries in athletic training courses. It is designed to meet the needs of students studying to be coaches and teachers. Edition/Copyright: 6TH 05
New to This Edition
- Discusses the highlights of the HIPPA Act while still maintaining a client's or patient's right to privacy; also examines the Good Samaritan law and produ ...show morect liability, all in Ch 3.
- Provides new coverage of core stabilization training as part of a strength training program in Ch. 4.
- Includes new coverage of creatine supplementation and its implications, ephedrine, and tips when selecting fast foods, in Ch. 5.
- Provides a new discussion of equipment reconditioning and recertification, and includes guidelines for purchasing and reconditioning helmets, in Ch.6. Also includes new coverage of cycling helmets.
- Expands and updates the text with key coverage of topics such as safety during lightening and thunderstorms (in Chapter 10), special tests for ankle and hip injury assessment (in Chapters 15 and 17), and a new focus box of tips about icing versus heating (in Chapter 12).
- Retitled to reflect better the goals and content of the book.
- Emphasizes the role of the coach and considers the responsibilities that likely fall to the coach when no athletic trainer is part of the team--e.g. undertaking CPR certification, interacting with parents and physicians, developing training and conditioning programs to minimize injury as well as emergency action plans, and keeping injured athletes involved with the team.
- Includes "The Coach's Corner," a checklist featured in selected chapters to help the coach organize and prepare for specific procedures.
- Features separate chapters on key topics such as young athletes and injury prevention, legal liability and insurance, and bloodborne pathogens and the universal precautions necessary in the athletic environment.
- In each chapter, critical thinking exercises provide relevant brief case studies and help students to apply the content just learned. Solutions appear at the end of the chapters.
- Lists of websites at the end of appropriate chapters invite students to explore additional resources.
- Bulleted chapter summaries and pronunciation guides for selected terms help with test preparation and reinforce learning.
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company
Year Published: 2005