Summary: Essentials of Contemporary Advertising, 1/e by William Arens and David Schaefer explores the core principles that drive advertising, using a lively voice that goes beyond academic theory. The authors' goal was to present advertising as it is actually practiced and make the fundamentals accessible and relevant to the student's "real life." This approach truly transcends the conceptual and propels students into an exciting and practical dimension.Edition/Copyright: 07
< ...show moreB>New Features
- Opening Vignettes--Chapter-opening vignettes introduce each chapter, featuring an actual situation that illustrates a basic concept in the student of advertising. Wherever possible, the opening story is then woven through the chapter to demonstrate how textbook concepts actually come to life in real-world situations.
- Commercial Breaks--Active participation enhances learning, so the Commercial Break plays a significant role in many chapters. These unique sidebars to the world of advertising introduce students to topics of current interest or controversy and then involve them in the subject by posing questions that stimulate critical thinking.
- Ethical Issues in Advertising--Ethics play a vital role in the practice of advertising. The Ethical Issues focus attention on the most critical social facing advertisers today. These include the debate over puffery, advertising to children, comparative advertising, the targeting of ethnic minorities, consumer profiling, privacy, negative political advertising, visual and statistical manipulation, and others.
- Exploring Advertising--Every chapter concludes with active learning exercises that provide students opportunities to apply what they just learned to real world situations. Instructors will find these activities extremely useful as homework assignments or in-class activities.
- Practical Checklists--Handy checklists appear regularly throughout the text. They teach students how to handle a large volume of information and creatively convert this information into effective marketing communications. The Checklists can stimulate memory, organize thinking, and reinforce important concepts.
Publisher: Richard D. Irwin, Inc.
Year Published: 2007
Other Editions of Essentials of Contemporary Advertising: