Summary: Offering quick access to the pathological conditions most commonly seen in the physician's office, this portable text/reference is ideal for administrative and clinical medical assistants who have a wide range of responsibilities -- including billing, coding, telephone screening, taking patient examinations, understanding diagnostic and treatment procedures, and putting together patient education programs. Thoroughly revised and updated to reflect the changes in the ...show morefield, this third edition features an enhanced format with a description of over 500 conditions and disorders, their ICD-9-CM codes, signs and symptoms, patient screening, etiology, diagnostic assessment and clinical tests, treatment options, prognosis, prevention, and patient teaching. A companion website provides multiple weblinks for all diseases and conditions profiled in the book.Edition/Copyright: 3RD 04
New to this Edition
- Disease presentations follow a normal pathological progression -- with descriptions, related ICD-9-CM codes, symptoms and signs, patient screening, etiology, diagnosis, treatment, prognosis, prevention, and patient teaching -- to help readers conceptualize disease pathology and better apply information.
- Enrichment and Alert boxes offer readers information, clarification, and precautions next to the related topic in the text to improve the awareness of diseases as they affect people every day.
- Diseases are presented in an encyclopedia-type format, to break the text into easy-to-understand topics, and to make disease classifications easier to locate within subject areas.
- Concise descriptions of disorders help readers quickly review information.
- The ICD-9-CM code for each disorder provides a reference point for health care providers when coding for reimbursement.
- Symptoms and signs of each disorder are discussed in a logical format to enlighten readers on what patients may report and what the clinician will be finding during the examination that is characteristic of the disorder.
- Information on telephone screening provides suggestions for scheduling and for emergency intervention concepts.
- Discussions of diagnostic testing, laboratory, and imaging are included along with physical and emotional findings.
- Various treatment options are included for each disorder including current drug therapies.
- A section on prognosis provides readers with the possible outcome for each disorder.
- Coverage of prevention provides the reader with information necessary to help educate the patient on preventive measures.
- A section on patient teaching provides suggestions for patient instruction and teaching.
- Appendix provides panic values and other valuable information in a concise and readable form.
- Appendix contains mailing addresses and telephone numbers to help readers provide patients, clients, or family members with agencies that may be contacted for additional information or assistance.
- A glossary includes the Spanish translations of each word, and defines words that are bold in the text to help readers understand the terminology used throughout the text.
- Content emphasizes total patient care with the inclusion of unique discussions on childhood disorders and conditions, normal pregnancy and complications, mental health disorders, and trauma or emergency care options.
- Student-friendly features include learning objectives, key terms with pronunciations, review questions, and case scenarios.
- ICD-9-CM codes are provided at a glance for each disease entry to help familiarize students with disease codes.
- More illustrations and photos of diseases help readers visualize pathological conditions in order to recognize them on the job.
- Content on cancers and autoimmune disorders has been thoroughly updated to reflect the latest advances.
- Coverage of the most recent information includes discussions on conjoined twins, arteriovenous malformations, West Nile Virus, SARS, transient global amnesia, post partum depression, hormone replacement therapy, and personality disorders.
- New focus on telephone screening and patient education puts each disease into clinical context.
- Spanish translations of all glossary terms help practitioners communicate with Spanish-speaking patients.
Publisher: W.B. Saunders Co.
Other Editions of Essentials of Human Diseases and Conditions: