Summary: Providing a solid foundation in sonography, this book is designed to help students succeed in both the classroom and in practice. It promotes study by defining important terminology, by providing a historical overview of ultrasound technology, and by describing the sonographer's role on the medical team--adding study techniques, note taking, effective listening, and test-taking strategies. For the clinical environment, the book covers topics such as taking a patient' ...show mores vital signs, safety considerations, body mechanics, patient transfer, infection control, and emergency procedures. This book also prepares students for the transition into practice, covering expectations in various clinical settings, continuing education, sonography specialties, administrative roles, and career options.Edition/Copyright: 2ND 06
New to this Edition
- The only text devoted entirely to entry-level students, providing a foundation of essential knowledge.
- Step-by-step descriptions of basic medical procedures and patient care show sonographers how to safely perform procedures and how to interact with patients in a clinical setting.
- Updated instrumentation information on current technology in the field of ultrasound.
- Expanded information on body mechanics and proper scanning posture, helping sonographers avoid repetitive-motion musculoskeletal injuries.
- Objectives and Key Terms are listed in chapter openers.
- Frequently needed patient instructions in Spanish.
- Updated instrumentation information.
- Expanded information on body mechanics and proper scanning posture to avoid repetitive motion musculoskeletal injury.
- Electronic image archiving and patient records, including HIPAA information.
- New information on ethics, scope of practice, and practice standards.
- New chapter on legal considerations for sonographers.
- Evolve Resources for instructors, saving preparation time and enhancing the text.
- Note boxes draw attention to important information.
Publisher: W.B. Saunders Co.
Other Editions of Essentials of Sonography and Patient Care: