This edition has also been released as:
Summary: Essentials of Strategic Management is a brief version of the authors' market-leading text, Strategic Management: An Integrated Approach, 7/e. The Essentials text follows the same framework as the larger book, helping students to identify and focus on core concepts in the field in a more concise, streamlined format. Based on real-world practices and current thinking, the text's presentation of strategic management features an increased emphasis on the "business mode ...show morel" concept as a way of framing the issues of competitive advantage.Edition/Copyright: 08
Cutting-edge research, new strategic management theory, and a hands-on approach allow students to explore major topics in management, including corporate performance, governance, strategic leadership, technology, and business ethics. In addition, a high quality/variety case program examines small, medium, and large companies, both domestic and international.
- Strategy in Action boxes examine how the management theory covered in the text can be applied to real-world situations.
- Chapter Opening Cases challenge students to think critically about real-world issues in strategic management.
- Closing Cases conclude each chapter with a short case that can be used for further analysis of chapter issues. Each case has been chosen to reflect contemporary issues and problems in strategic management. Accompanying discussion questions encourage students to consider how managers approach real problems in the strategic management world.
- Eight expanded End-of-Book Cases at the conclusion of the text focus on specific strategic management topics. Examples include analyzing competitive environments (the Internet music industry vs. satellite radio), building a competitive advantage (3M), developing business-level strategies (Staples, Coca-Cola, PepsiCo.), and how corporate strategy changes over time (Toyota, Greyhound). Students can be asked to collect additional information on the companies in these cases, both to bring the analysis up-to-date and to understand how managers use data to increase competitive advantage and performance.
- A Running Case on Wal-Mart introduces relevant aspects of the company's strategy and performance to illustrate key topics in the text.
- Small-Group Exercises ask students to work in teams to discuss a scenario concerning aspects of strategic management.
- The semester-long Strategic Management Project asks students to select a company and provide an analysis based on a series of questions provided at the end of every chapter.
- Exploring the Web exercises encourage students to visit web sites and answer chapter-related questions.
- Multiple choice and true/false Test Preppers at the end of every chapter allow students to gauge their retention and comprehension of chapter material.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Other Editions of Essentials Of Strategic Management: