Summary: This book is the rare contemporary moral problems anthology that privileges depth over breadth. Containing readings on moral theory and practice from a collection of today's most important thinkers and drawing on philosophical and religious perspectives, it offers important, divergent viewpoints on some of today's most hotly contested issues. An introductory chapter on moral theory lays the foundation for subsequent in-depth explorations of sexual ethics, abortion, t
he conduct of war, euthanasia and suicide, environmental ethics, capital punishment, and human cloning.
Summary: This book is the rare contemporary moral problems anthology that privileges depth over breadth. Containing readings on moral theory and practice from a collection of today's most important thinkers and drawing on philosophical and religious perspectives, it offers important, divergent viewpoints on some of today's most hotly contested issues. An introductory chapter on moral theory lays the foundation for subsequent in-depth explorations of sexual ethics, abortion, the conduct of war, euthanasia and suicide, environmental ethics, capital punishment, and human cloning. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:06 Cover: Paperback Publisher:Wadsworth, Inc Published: 04/11/2005 International: No
View Table of Contents
Part I: ETHICAL THEORY.
1. Utilitarianism, J.S. Mill. 2. Fundamental Principles of the Metaphysics of Morals, Immanuel Kant. 3. Nicomachean Ethics, Aristotle. 4. Secular Morality and Sacred Obligation, Louis Dupré. 5. The Deep Structure, Ronald M. Green. 6. Woman's Place in Man's Life-Cycle, Carol Gilligan. 7. From System to Story: An Alternative Pattern for Rationality in Ethics, Stanley Hauerwas and David B. Burrell. 8. A Conversation Worth Having: Hauerwas and Gustafson on Substance in Theological Ethics, Terrence Reynolds.
Part II: SEXUAL ETHICS.
9. Humanae Vitae, Pope Paul VI. 10. The Homosexual Movement, The Ramsey Colloquium. 11. Why Homosexuality Is Abnormal, Michael Levin. 12. Toward a New Theology of Sexuality, Judith Plaskow. 13. The Case for Gay Marriage, Richard D. Mohr. 14. Is Adultery Immoral? Richard Wasserstrom. 15. Sexual Perversion, Thomas Nagel.
Part III: ABORTION.
16. An Almost Absolute Value in History, John T. Noonan, Jr. 17. Our Bodies, Our Souls, Naomi Wolf. 18. Abortion: Why the Arguments Fail, Stanley Hauerwas. 19. A Defense of Abortion, Judith Jarvis Thomson. 20. Who Shall Count as a Human Being? A Treacherous Question in the Abortion Discussion, Sissela Bok. 21. Roe v. Wade: A Study in Male Ideology, Catherine MacKinnon. 22. Judaism and the Justification of Abortion for Nonmedical Reasons, Sandra B. Lubarsky.
Part IV: JUST WAR AND PACIFISM.
23. Moral Judgments in Time of War, Michael Walzer. 24. Threats, Values and Defense: Does the Defense of Values by Force Remain a Moral Possibility? James Turner Johnson. 25. The Tradition and the Real World, John Howard Yoder. 26. Selections on Non-Violence, Martin Luther King, Jr. 27. New Testament Reflections on Peace and Nuclear Arms, Sandra M. Schneiders. 28. Reflections on War and Political Discourse: Realism, Just War, and Feminism in a Nuclear Age, Jean Bethge Elshtain. 29. Pacifism: A Philosophical Analysis, Jan Narveson.
Part V: EUTHANASIA AND PHYSICIAN-ASSISTED SUICIDE.
30. Euthanasia and Christian Vision, Gilbert Meilaender. 31. Objections to the Institutionalization of Euthanasia, Stephen G. Potts. 32. Ask Your Ancestors and They Will Tell You, Rabbi Daniel A. Roberts. 33. A "Natural Law" Reconsideration of Euthanasia, Lisa Sowle Cahill. 34. Active and Passive Euthanasia, James Rachels. 35. Is There a Duty to Die? John Hardwig. 36. A Non-Consequentialist Argument for Active Euthanasia, Baruch A. Brody.
Part VI: CAPITAL PUNISHMENT.
37. What Do Murderers Deserve? The Death Penalty in Civilized Societies, David Gelertner. 38. Deterrence and the Death Penalty, Ernest Van den Haag. 39. Christian Ethics and Capital Punishment: A Reflection, Alexander Williams, Jr. 40. Is the Death Penalty Irrevocable? Michael Davis. 41. Instrument of Justice or Tool of Vengance? Matthew L. Stephens. 42. In Spite of Innocence: Erroneous Convictions in Capital Cases, Michael Radelet, Hugo Bedau, Constance Putnam. 43. The Death Penalty as a Symbolic Issue, Stephen Nathanson.
Part VII: ENVIRONMENTAL ETHICS.
44. Can and Ought We to Follow Nature? Holmes Rolston, III. 45. The Land Ethic, Aldo Leopold. 46. The Ethics of Respect for Nature, Paul W. Taylor. 47. The Planetary Environment: Challenge on Every Front, Larry Rasmussen. 48. People or Penguins, William F. Baxter. 49. The Refutation of Environmental Ethics, Janna Thompson. 50. A Lifeboat Ethics: The Case Against Helping the Poor, Garrett Hardin.
Part VIII: HUMAN CLONING.
51. Cloning Human Beings: An Assessment of the Ethical Issues Pro and Con, Dan Brock. 52. The Wisdom of Repugnance: Why We Should Ban the Cloning of Human Beings, Leon Kass. 53. The Judeo-Christian Case Against Human Cloning, Stephen Garrard Post. 54. Contingency, Tragedy, and the Virtues of Parenting, Sondra Wheeler. 55. Clone Wars, Mark Eibert. 56. In God's Garden: Creation and Cloning in Jewish Thought, Jonathan Cohen. 57. The Twin Paradox: What Exactly Is Wrong With Cloning People? Ronald Bailey
List Price: $131.95
Used Currently Sold Out
New Currently Sold Out
Due back 08/14/2015
Save $78.96 (60%)
Free return shipping
21-day satisfaction guarantee
CDs or access codes may not be included
Marketplace sellers starting at $1.99
18 more offers below.
Additional Sellers for Ethical Issues : Western Philosophical and Religious Perspectives
Just for you, we curate a growing list of independent booksellers, giving you even MORE choices when shopping for your textbooks.
Keep in mind: Marketplace orders do NOT qualify for free shipping.More about the Marketplace
Our feedback rating says it all: Five star service and fast delivery! We have shipped four million items to happy customers, and have one MILLION unique items ready to ship today!
$7.99 +$3.99 s/h
HPB-Preston Dallas, TX
2005 Paperback Good Connecting readers with great books since 1972. Used books may not include companion materials, some shelf wear, may contain highlighting/notes, and may not include cd-rom or ac...show morecess codes. Customer service is our top priority! ...show less
0534518478 Very Good Condition. Tight and Neat. Five star seller - Ships Quickly - Buy with confidence!
$33.99 +$3.99 s/h
SUPER BOOKS Fort Mill, SC
Buy with Confidence. Excellent Customer Support. We ship from multiple US locations. No CD, DVD or Access Code Included.
$37.49 +$3.99 s/h
Books Revisited Chatham, NJ
Possible retired library copy, some have markings or writing. May or may not include accessories such as CD or access codes.
$42.46 +$3.99 s/h
Thrifty_Text Emeryville, CA
Ships today or the next business day. Cover and binding maybe well-worn. Text may contain extensive writing/highlightings but is till readable. Easy return if this item does not meet your needs. 28-...show more11. ...show less
$46.96 +$3.99 s/h
GreatBookPrices Westminster, MD
Used, Acceptable Condition, may show signs of wear and previous use. Please allow 4-14 business days for delivery. 100% Money Back Guarantee, Over 1,000,000 customers served.
$47.00 +$3.99 s/h
Thrifty_Text Emeryville, CA
Ships today or the next business day. Cover and binding show moderate wear. Text may contain moderate writing/highlightings but is easily readable. 28-11.
$49.72 +$3.99 s/h
Thrifty_Text Emeryville, CA
Ships today or the next business day. Cover and binding show wear. Text may contain some writing/highlightings but nothing major. 28-11.
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.