Summary: Connects ethical theory to ethical practice. Ethics for Modern Life demonstrates for students how analyzing and understanding philosophical principles helps them make more informed choices about he dilemmas they face in their own lives.Edition/Copyright: 6TH 03
An anthology with a mix of classic and contemporary readings that presents the relevant issues of our time. After introducing students in Part I to the main theories on ethical judgements and moral responsibility by such thi ...show morenkers as Kant, Mill, Foot, Blackburn, and Strawson (among others), Parts II and III demonstrate these theories in action by presenting a wide range of readings on issues that are relevant to today's students such as euthanasia, capital punishment, animal rights, and genetic engineering
Helpful apparatus. Every chapter ends with questions for discussion and a list of suggested readings, providing students with an opportunity for further study.
New to This Edition :
- More readings than ever before. The Sixth Edition offers 50 readings (34 new), more selections than ever before, giving instructors more choices, while introducing students to such contemporary voices as Simon Blackburn, Frances Kamm, Hilary Putnam, and Tom Regan.
- Three new issues are drawn from today's headlines. The Sixth Edition offers discussion on three new issues particularly relevant today: genetic engineering, multiculturalism and political correctness, and war and terrorism.
- Literary selections now open each Part, engaging students immediately with the issues that will be confronted--in Part I, an excerpt from Sophocles's Philoctetes raises the issue of individual human rights vs. the needs of the community, Tom Godwin's "The Cold Equation" introduces Part II and dramatizes the dilemmas of taking human life,andin Part III, an excerpt from Aldous Huxley's Brave New World warns of the dangers of social engineering.
- New Part Introductions. Each Part introduction has been rewritten and streamlined for a more focused chapter introduction.
- An exciting new TopLinks Website. This dynamic TopLink site connects students to research links on topics that are tied directly to the Chapters in ~Ethics for Modern Life,~ allowing them to find sources on the web quickly and easily.
Publisher: St. Martins Press, Inc.
Other Editions of Ethics for Modern Life: