Summary: This widely used clinical reference has now been fully revised and expanded, providing the latest knowledge on culturally sensitive practice with families and individuals from over 40 different ethnic groups. Each chapter demonstrates how ethnocultural factors may influence the assumptions of both clients and therapists, the issues people bring to the clinical context, and their resources for coping and problem solving. Updated throughout with essential new material,
the third edition includes chapters on several additional groups. An indispensable new appendix offers a concise guide to weaving cultural information into assessment and intervention planning.
Summary: This widely used clinical reference has now been fully revised and expanded, providing the latest knowledge on culturally sensitive practice with families and individuals from over 40 different ethnic groups. Each chapter demonstrates how ethnocultural factors may influence the assumptions of both clients and therapists, the issues people bring to the clinical context, and their resources for coping and problem solving. Updated throughout with essential new material, the third edition includes chapters on several additional groups. An indispensable new appendix offers a concise guide to weaving cultural information into assessment and intervention planning. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:3RD 05 Cover: Hardback Publisher:Guilford Press Year Published: 2005 International: No
View Table of Contents
1. Overview: Ethnicity and Family Therapy, Monica McGoldrick, Joe Giordano, and Nydia Garcia-Preto
I. American Indian and Pacific Islander Families
2. American Indian Families: An Overview, CharlesEtta T. Sutton and Mary Anne Broken Nose 3. Back to the Future: An Examination of the Native American Holocaust Experience, Nadine Tafoya and Ann Del Vecchio 4. Na 'Ohana: Native Hawaiian Families, Valli Kalei Kanuha
II. Families of African Origin
5. Familes of African Origin: An Overview, Lascelles Black and Vanessa Jackson 6. African American Families, Paulette Moore Hines and Nancy Boyd-Franklin 7. African Immigrant Families, ugo Kamya 8. British West Indian Families, Janet R. Brice-Baker 9. Haitian Families, Josiane Menos 10. Muslim African American Families, Vanessa McAdams-Mahmoud
III. Latino Families
11. Latino Families: An Overview, Nydia Garcia-Preto 12. Brazilian Families, Eliana Catão de Korin and Sueli S. de Carvalho Petry 13. Central American Families, Miguel Hernandez 14. Colombian Families, Ramón Rojano and Jenny Duncan-Rojano 15. Cuban Families, Guillermo Bernal and Ester Shapiro 16. Dominican Families, Carmen Inoa Vasquez 17. Mexican Families, Celia Jaes Falicov 18. Puerto Rican Families, Nydia Garcia Preto 19. Salvadoran Families, Daniel Kusnir
IV. Asian Families
20. Asian Families: An Overview, Evelyn Lee and Matthew R. Mock 21. Cambodian Families, Lorna McKenzie-Pollock 22. Chinese Families, Evelyn Lee and Matthew R. Mock 23. Filipino Families, Maria P. P. Root 24. Indonesian Families, Fred P. Piercy, Adriana Soekandar, Catherine D. M. Limansubroto, and Sean D. Davis 25. Japanese Families, Tazuko Shibusawa 26. Korean Families, Bok-Lim C. Kim and Eunjung Ryu 27. Vietnamese Families, Paul K. Leung and James Boehnlein
V. Asian Indian and Pakistani Families
28. Asian Indian Families: An Overview, Rhea Almeida 29. Indian Hindu Families, Vimala Pillari 30. Pakistani Families, Shivani Nath
VI. Middle Eastern Families
31. Arab Families: An Overview, Nuha Abudabbeh 32. Armenian Families, Steve Dagirmanjian 33. Iranian Families, Behnaz Jalali 34. Lebanese and Syrian Families, Karen L. Haboush 35. Palestinian Families, Nuha Abudabbeh
VII. Families of European Origin
36. Families of European Origin: An Overview, Joe Giordano and Monica McGoldrick 37. American Families with English Ancestors from the Colonial Era: Anglo Americans, David W. McGill and John K. Pearce 38. Dutch Families, Conrad DeMaster and Mary Ann Dros-Giordano 39. French Canadian Families, Régis Langelier and Pamela Langelier 40. German Families, Hinda Winawer and Norbert A. Wetzel 41. Greek Families, Kyle D. Killian and Anna M. Agathangelou 42. Hungarian Families, Tracey a. Laszloffy 43. Irish Families, Monica McGoldrick 44. Italian Families, Joe Giordano, Monica McGoldrick, and Joanne Guarino Klages 45. Portuguese Families, Zarita A. Araújo-Lane 46. Scandinavian Families: Plain and Simple, Beth M. Erickson 47. Scots-Irish Families, Morris Taggart
VIII. Jewish Families
48. Jewish Families: An Overview, Susan F. Weltman and Elliott J. Rosen 49. Israeli Families, Anat Ziv 50. Orthodox Jewish Families, Marsha Pravder Mirkin and Barbara F. Okun 51. Russian Jewish Families, Leonid Newhouse
IX. Slavic Families
52. Slavic Families: An Overview, Leonid Newhouse 53. Czech and Slovak Families, Jo-Ann Krestan and Rita Mae Gazarik 54. Polish Families, John Folwarski and Joseph Smolenski, Jr. Appendix. Cultural Assessment
View eBook Requirements
VitalSource Bookshelf ReaderMinimum System Requirements:
Windows 7/8, or Mac OS X 10.6 or above
eTextbooks and eChapters can be viewed by using the free reader listed below.
Be sure to check the format of the eTextbook/eChapter you purchase to know which reader you will need. After purchasing your eTextbook or eChapter, you will be emailed instructions on where and how to download your free reader.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed Internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet during the download process.
Click Here to access the VitalSource Bookshelf FAQ
View Digital Rights
VitalSource Bookshelf Copying: Allowed, 211 selections may be copied every day Printing: Allowed, 211 prints for unlimited days Expires: Yes, may be used for 365 days after activation Reading Aloud: Allowed Sharing: Not Allowed Min. Software Version: VitalSource Bookshelf Suitable Devices: PCs, Tablet PCs, Macs, Laptops
Digital Rights Management (DRM) Key
Copying - Books that cannot be copied will show "Not Allowed." Otherwise, this will detail the number of times it can be copied, or "Allowed with no limits."
Printing - Books that cannot be printed will show "Not Allowed." Otherwise, this will detail the number of times it can be printed, or "Allowed with no limits."
Expires - Books that have no expiration (the date upon which you will no longer be able to access your eBook) will read "No Expiration." Otherwise it will state the number of days from activation (the first time you actually read it).
Reading Aloud - Books enabled with the "text-to-speech" feature so that they can be read aloud will show "Allowed."
Sharing - Books that cannot be shared with other computers will show "Not Allowed."
Min. Software Version - This is the minimum software version needed to read this book.
Suitable Devices - Hardware known to be compatable with this book. Note: Reader software still needs to be installed.
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.