Summary: Designed for courses in Comparative Government and European Governments, or European or Western European Politics, this complete survey of contemporary European politics examines the strengths and continuing challenges of democracy in Britain, France, Germany and Italy at the end of the 20th century. It offers an accurate insight into the new Europe emerging from the growth of the European Union. With all of the changes happening within Europe, wouldn't you ...show morelike to have the most up-to-date text? Features Edition/Copyright: 3RD 99
- NEW - Reflects the most recent developments and changes, explaining major political shifts in a way that is understandable in broader trends of political change in democracies.
- NEW - Offers extensive discussions on the European Union, referring not only to each individual country's involvement in the European, but also how European developments are reshaping domestic politics in the member countries.
- Discusses the single European currency, expansion of European membership from 15 to 21 members, and the issues of democratic control over the increasingly powerful polity.
- NEW - Focuses on current trends, such as adjusting to recent economic changes, coping with political scandals that have harmed the reputation of democratic institutions and politicians, the resurgence of nationalism, and more.
- NEW - Explores issues of declining national sovereignty in modern politics, profiling the European experience in terms of economics, technological changes, communications patterns, etc. that are revolutionizing notions of national sovereignty.
- NEW - Updates coverage to cover party system changes in Britain, France, and Italy in a way that is readily understandable to beginning and intermediate level students.
- Examines changes in political parties that are reshaping democracy in Western Europe: new parties in Italy, Scottish and Welsh assemblies in Britain; the conflict in Northern Ireland; party changes in France and Britain; the effects of unification in Germany.
- NEW - Features an all-new list of websites for information on political developments in Western Europe.
- NEW - Includes extensive coverage of the rise of the radical right and its impact on traditional mainstream parties and the political process.
- Offers a comprehensive survey of the historical development, and political institutions of the European Union and the importance of the European in the domestic politics of its member countries.
- Presents comprehensive and comparative treatments of Britain, France, Germany, and Italy, each organized around a common set of questions.
- Provides a country-by-country analysis of the historical, social, and economic forces affecting contemporary politics in western democracies.
- Draws upon European experience to understand the strengths and weaknesses of democracy in many settings, such as countries undergoing democratization and other long-term democracies such as the United States and Canada.
- Features parallel coverage that highlights comparisons among the four countries, and then with the United States.
- Looks at similar institutions in the different countries, and compares how different political systems respond to similar needs or problems.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.