Summary: Edition/Copyright: 2ND 05
The second edition of a bestseller,The Everglades Handbook: Understanding the Ecosystem continues to provide a wealth of information on the entire ecosystem of the Everglades. Offering the essentials of what the ecosystem is and how it works, the Handbook benefits those addressing issues such as Everglades restoration, water management, wildlife management, and water quality problems in urban and agricultural planning.
- Provides a wealth of information on the entire ecosystem, from the Kissimmee River drainage through Florida Bay
- Emphasizes the importance of flow in maintaining the Everglades marsh ecosystem
- Explains technical topics in language that is understandable by an educated lay audience
- Unified around themes of biogeography and ecosystem functions of the plant and animal communities
- Include ...show mores 90 illustrations, some in full color
With an emphasis on natural history, the text is unified around themes of biogeography and ecosystem functions of the plant and animal communities. It presents current and historical geology, discussions of human impacts, ecosystem degradation, planned restoration, and covers the socioeconomic aspects of the Everglades ecosystem.
What's new in the Second Edition:
- Additional chapter on Big Cypress Swamp
- New section on Lake Okeechobee and its headwaters
- A new synthesis chapter which diagrams ecological succession and food webs
Publisher: CRC Press I, LLC
Year Published: 2005