Summary: As part of Fawcett's best-selling developmental writing series, Evergreen earns consistent acclaim for its clear, step-by-step instruction, engaging exercises, and high-interest readings for paragraph-to-essay level courses. The text's longstanding popularity stems from its solid foundation in the process and modeling approach to writing, plus its flexible organization. Following the advice of reviewers and users across the country, the author has added new critical- ...show morethinking assignments, revised the majority of existing practice sets and models, and integrated more dynamic, contemporary visuals throughout the text. Compelling and sometimes controversial images stimulate students to write and discuss their responses.Edition/Copyright: 7TH 04
Chapter 1 features a revised introduction designed to increase students' interest in the writing process and, consequently, the likelihood that they will use the textbook. In addition, a new chapter on research prepares students for other composition and college-level courses, covering such topics as how to avoid plagiarism, write summaries, include quotes, paraphrase, find information using the library and the Internet, and cite MLA sources.
- New! Sixty percent of the reading selections in the Seventh Edition are new, including "A Smoker's Right" by Mario Vargas Llosa, "Bam! Crash! Kapow! Girls Are Heroes Now" by Susan Hopkins, and "Cell Yell: Thanks for (Not) Sharing," by Eric A. Taub.
- New! Throughout the text, URLs point students to relevant web sites for further exploration of chapter concepts and reading practice.
- New! A brief chapter on how to strengthen an essay with research has been added to the text, helping students to prepare for college-level assignments.
- New! The Seventh Edition features 75 new models and practice exercises that cover provocative, high-interest topics.
- New! A new section on misplaced modifiers provides greater focus on this difficult topics. In addition, students have more opportunities to practice mixed-error proofreading throughout the text.
- New! An extensive suite of technology products includes an updated textbook web site with new PowerPoint slides and activities, downloadable diagnostic and mastery tests, links to popular ESL sites, and a Community of Evergreen bulletin board for instructors. Students also have access to the ESL-related sites and a checklist of "The 10 Most Common Writing Problems and How to Fix Them" to be printed and used when writing. In addition, the EverWrite CD-ROM features over 120 editing exercises with reading passages for correction, as well as 350 grammar exercises and tests tailored to the text.
- At the end of each unit, Writer's Workshops showcase student examples of paragraphs and essays to reinforce the grammar and sentence skills in context. A series of questions and activities follow these examples and promote collaborative learning by asking students to read, discuss, edit, and write in small groups.
Cover: Multimedia Set
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Year Published: 2004
Other Editions of Evergreen : A Guide to Writing with Readings - With Evergreen CD: