Summary: Evergreen takes another leap forward in the paragraph-to-essay-level Developmental Writing market. In this Eighth Edition, the author endeavors to take an exceptional book and make it even more motivating, helpful, and engaging. Susan Fawcett has thoroughly reviewed and updated the text, guided by the thoughtful suggestions of faculty across the country, and by the academic and workplace challenges students face in the twenty-first century.Edition/Copyright: 8TH 07
With its new featur ...show morees and powerful WriteSpace online writing program, the Eighth Edition ensures that Evergreen continues to meet the needs of students and instructors in any classroom environment. Step-by-step instruction, a range of carefully paced practice exercises, engaging student and professional writing samples, and attention to critical thinking are the keys to this text's appeal.
- New! Critical Viewing and more Critical Thinking assignments promote analysis and problem solving. Many images in the text are accompanied by Thinking and Writing Together tasks that help students apply the rhetorical strategies they learn to a problem, set of facts, or visual image.
- New! Integrated ESL coverage provides guidance for instructors who work with multilingual students in their classes. ESL Tips in the Instructor's Annotated Edition and the new Evergreen Instructor's Guide to Teaching ESL Students provide grounding in ESL instruction specifically geared to teaching with Evergreen. In addition, a new ESL Appendix in the book focuses on areas of difficulty for ESL students, and more exercises and web links are available at the Evergreen Online Study Center.
- Exploring Online assignments throughout the text and at the end of every chapter give students the option of further online study, practice, or exploration. Provided as live links at the Online Study Center, these assignments can be accessed while students learn chapter concepts or take practice tests. Quality web sites also follow each Thinking and Writing Together activity and selected practices, so students can learn more about topics of interest for future papers.
- New! New reading selections offer an even wider variety of essays, including "When Greed Gives Way to Giving," by Ana Veciana-Suarez; "Dear Dads: Save Your Sons," by Christopher N. Bacorn; and "Freedom's Just Another Word," by Anna Quindlen.
- Sixty-five engaging new models and content-based practice sets are vital to Evergreen's effectiveness. Fresh subjects include the first female Navaho surgeon (to illustrate paragraph coherence), NASCAR safety devices (an example of illustration), and the expanding size of restaurant portions in America (an example of comparison and contrast).
- New! A four-color design and 46 color images enliven Evergreen's pedagogy. Every image engages students and prompts them to view, reflect, and connect more deeply with material they read.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt