Summary: For undergraduate courses in Introduction to the Humanities.Edition/Copyright: 06
This text ignites students' passion to know more-and think more about the influence of the humanities on their own lives with a clear, engaging writing style, striking layout, and beautiful full-color reproductions.
The first introduction to humanities text in over text years, Laurie Schneider Adams set out to write the most coherent, straight-forward and accessible text for students. Co ...show morembining her gift for writing clearly and succinctly with a breath-taking design, she makes humanities come alive for the average freshman, who may or may not pursue a liberal arts degree.
Would you like to pique students interest to read their text?
Would you like engage students to think about what they are reading?
- Laurie Schneider Adams' writing style is accessible, clear and easy-to-read.
- Engages students to read the text
- Stunning visual appeal. Includes beautiful full color reproductions illustrating the text discussion, full color maps, and illustrated timelines.
- Captures student interest.
- Boxed features throughout the text help clarify concepts for students:
- Thematic Parallels boxes help students compare cultures and art from around the world.
- Cross-cultural Influences boxes focus on areas of historical contact and artistic influence between world cultures of the same time period.
- Society and Culture boxes elaborate on a key person, event, or idea mentioned in the text, providing more social and cultural background.
- Defining Moments boxes highlight an exciting turning point that has significantly influenced Western culture, whether it is a historical event, a scientific discovery, or an artistic innovation.
Would you like a book that empowers student to do more than just read?
- Innovative learning tools help students understand, process, and appreciate what they are reading:
- A Starter Kit gives students a brief overview of the basic principles and terms they will need to know.
- Dramatic chapter openers feature images, a brief introduction to the key points of the period, and compelling quotations and key topics to help engage and focus students.
- Visual timelines follow each chapter opener to highlight key historical events, scientific discoveries, and works of art.
- Maps in each chapter, including several thematic maps, show the impact of geography on the humanities.
- End of Chapter Study Tools including Key Terms, Key Questions, Suggested Reading and Suggested Films.
- The TLC comes with a state-of-the-art package of multimedia and print resources.
- OneKey is a free, all-inclusive online resource giving you the best teaching and learning resources all in one place. OneKey is all your students need for out-of-class work conveniently organized by chapter to reinforce and apply what they've learned in class and from the text. OneKey is all you need to plan and administer your course. All your instructor resources are in one place to maximize your effectiveness an minimize your time and effort. For details, please visit www.prenhall.com/onekey.
- Companion Website at www.prenhall.com/adams. This site features unique study and support tools for every chapter of Exploring the Humanities (such as chapter objectives and useful links). Multiple choice and short answer quizzes provide instant scoring and feedback to promote self-study. Students can also e-mail essay responses and graded quizzes directly to their instructor.
- Music for the Humanities CD. This music CD is bound into each copy of the text and the musical selections are cited and discussed in the main text.
- Anthology of Readings, Volumes I and II. Each chapter of Exploring the Humanities contains references to primary sources discussed in the text, which have been compiled into a two-volume anthology. Instructors also have the option of customizing their own anthology through the Penguin Custom Editions program. This allows them to select only the readings they need from an archive of more than 1,700 readings excerpted primarily from the Penguin Classics. Visit www.pecustomeditions.com for more information on Penguin Custom Editions: The Western World. Contact your local Prentice Hall sales representative for ordering information.
- Prentice Hall and Penguin Bundle Program. Prentice Hall is pleased to provide adopters of Exploring the Humanities with an opportunity to receive significant discounts when copies of the text are bundled with Penguin titles. Contact your local Prentice Hall Representative for details.
- Humanities Notes: A Study Guide to Accompany Exploring the Humanities, Volumes I and II. Humanities Notes provides students with practice tests, map exercises, spaces for taking notes on the key topics for each chapter and a place to answer key questions from each chapter. Free when packaged with the text.
- The Prentice Hall Atlas of the Humanities. Prentice Hall collaborates with Dorling Kindersley, the world's most innovative producer of maps and atlases. This atlas features multi-dimensional maps that include global, thematic, regional, and chronological perspectives showing political, economic, and cultural changes over time. Available at a significant discount when packaged with the text.
- TIME Magazine Special Editions. Available for Art, World Religions, and World Politics. Prentice Hall and TIME Magazine are pleased to offer a way to examine today's most current and compelling issues in an exciting new way. TIME Special Editions offers the same accessible writing style, bold coverage, and photography for which TIME is known, including a selection of articles on today's most current issues in the fields. Useful for classroom discussion and research assignments. Free when packaged with the text.
- OneSearch with Research Navigator. In addition to information on citing sources and avoiding plagiarism, this guide gives students easy access to three exclusive research databases: The New York Times Search by Subject Archive, ContentSelect Academic Journal Database, and Link Library.
- Course Response System. Contains questions for every chapter of the book each illustrated with high quality fine art images designed for projection in a lecture hall.
Cover: Other Format
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.