Summary: This engaging new text for the one-semester finite mathematics course uses intriguing real-world applications to capture business, economics, life, and social science majors interest and show them the practical side of mathematics. The text naturally integrates graphing calculator and spreadsheet explorations to expose students to the tools they will encounter in their future careers. Among the supportive features that promote study outside the classroom are uniq ...show moreue end-of-section summaries, annotations, and hints for examples and exercises. Worked-out solutions to the practice problems are located in the back of the text for prompt feedback and reinforcement. Edition/Copyright: 01
- Contemporary, student-oriented applications are drawn from real sources and a broad range of fields, including athletics, biomedical sciences, environmental sciences, management science and business, personal finance and management, social and behavioral sciences, and topics of general interest. Applications in the exercise sets are labeled for easy identification.
- Application Previews at the beginning of most sections include in-depth real-world applications that motivate students to focus on the section material.
- A natural integration of technology features Graphing Calculator Explorations and Spreadsheet Explorations and exercises throughout the text. To allow for optional use of the graphing calculator and spreadsheets, these explorations are boxed for easy identification.
- Explorations investigate new topics, carry out otherwise difficult calculations, or show the limitations and pitfalls of technology. Necessary details for obtaining the results/graphs are included to help students learn how to use the technology appropriately and independently.
- While any graphing calculator may be used, references in the text are for the TI-83. Programs for the TI-83 and other models are available free of charge as downloads from the web site or from the authors.
- A wealth of pedagogy supporting the needs of todays learners includes the following distinctive features: Worked-out Examples with Annotations to help students through the more challenging concepts; Practice Problems, offered as extra exercises after the more difficult worked-out examples; Section Summaries, briefly restating essential formulas and key concepts; Chapter Summary with Hints and Suggestions included at the end of every chapter to unify the chapter, give specific reminders, and reference problems in the review exercises suitable for a practice test; and Cumulative Review Exercises appearing at the end of groups of chapters to reinforce previously learned concepts and skills.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Other Editions of Finite Mathematics: