Summary: Finite Math is often a required course, taken by students who come with a weak math background and struggle with the subject. Young/Lee's Finite Mathematics: An Applied Approach 3rd Edition is written with these students in mind. Despite the excellent variety of drill, practice and conceptual problems laced with relevant real-world applications, students in finite math often struggle, prompting them to lean on the chapter's examples for help.Edition/Copyright: 3RD 04
In this text, ...show morethe authors provide examples that are not just quick recipes to be applied to a particular problem, but rather they offer actual insight into the problem at hand, as well to the general concept being developed. The examples help the students retain important concepts and then apply them in the exercises that follow. Using color in a way that carries the student's eye into the exposition that surrounds an example, the student is led, gently, to generalization and understanding. Young/Lee have found that delicate balance between accurate, precise and useful mathematics and aiding the struggling student towards successfully learning it. Features
- Pedagogical use of color. Careful, innovative use of color links the examples with surrounding exposition to carefully build student understanding of concepts.
- Chapter Problems. Each chapter begins with a relevant problem to show the type of problem that the material in the chapter can address. Each of these problems is completely solved later in the chapter.
- Technology Opportunities. Each chapter begins with a brief discussion about the uses of graphing calculators and spreadsheets for the topics about to be covered. Detailed instructions for using the TI-83 Plus and MS Excel are incorporated into examples near the end of each relevant section in order to help instructors determine when and how to use technology.
- Applications. Applications in a variety of fields are found throughout the examples and exercises. An applications index is provided for reference. Effort has been made to include applications from many different disciplines, including accounting, agriculture, biological sciences, communication and media studies, computers, economics, education, finance, fine arts, health sciences, management, marketing, physical science, production and service, social and behavioral sciences, sports and recreation. Current data from many sources, including governmental agencies and private organizations, has been used in the construction of these applications.
- Historical Notes. Throughout the text, historical notes are included, usually in the form of biographical sketches, related to the material being discussed. These notes "humanize" the mathematics and can be used to foster class discussions or as starting points for writing assignments.
- In-Depth Applications. New to this edition, longer, more in-depth applications have been included at the end of most chapters. These applications can be used in a variety of ways, such as group projects or extra credit assignments. Each incorporates the mathematics developed in the respective chapter and involves a series of questions that are related to a timely, interesting topic. Some of the topics are sports ranking systems (Chapter 3), shadow pricing (Chapter 5), credit consolidation (Chapter 6), genetics (Chapter 7), and message routing through the Internet (Chapter 12).
- Chapter Summaries and Chapter Tests. Each chapter ends with a summary of the keywords and topics covered, as well as a set of exercises which can be used as a review. The sample tests included at the end of each chapter can also be used to test the student's knowledge of the chapter material. The answers to all questions in the sample tests are included at the back of the text.
New To This Edition
- Algebra review and spreadsheet appendixes have been added.
- Mathematics of Finance has been moved to the center of the text.
- Linear Programming has been divided into two separate chapters.
- Sections on logic have been enhanced to emphasize the subtle skills needed to precisely translate sentences into their mathematical counterparts.
- Spreadsheet technology has been added to reflect the needs of students and current pedagogy.
- The graphing calculator usage has been updated to the TI-83 Plus model.
- Detailed instructions are provided for technology when technology use is appropriate and instructive
- An In-Depth Application, reflecting current issues and real data, has been added to the end of most chapters.
- Four color design.
- New exercises and examples using real data.
- New Art. The graphs are extended, colorized, and standardized.
Publisher: Addison-Wesley Longman, Inc.