Summary: For a traditional course in Finite Mathematics for non-science majors in business, social science, and life science programs. Edition/Copyright: 8TH 04
A "tried and true" favorite of both students and instructors alike, this text offers extremely readable coverage of the principles of finite mathematics and their applications in business, social science, and the life sciences. Topics are presented in a straight-forward, interesting manner, with considerable attention give ...show moren to the applications of the mathematics--the intent is for the students' mathematical maturity and appreciation for the usefulness of mathematics to grow simultaneously. Flexible in coverage, the text includes more material than can be covered in most one-semester courses, and divides naturally into four parts: linear mathematics; probability and statistics; topics utilizing the ideas of the first two parts; and key topics from discrete mathematics that are sometimes included in the modern finite mathematics curriculum. Instructors can easily structure their courses to their students' needs and interests. Since many of the topics can be enhanced with such tools as graphing calculators, electronic spreadsheets, and mathematical software, the text explicitly shows students how to use such technologies effectively to assist in understanding the fundamental concept of the course. Appendices cover the fundamentals of the various technologies and many sections contain specially designed technology exercises.
- NEW--Personal Financial Decisions--A new section considers financial decisions that students often have to make shortly after graduation from college. Discusses IRAs, consumer loans, and mortgages.
- NEW--Electronic spreadsheets--Includes an appendix on Spreadsheet Fundamentals and presents relevant material on the use of spreadsheets alongside appropriate topics in the book.
- Shows students and instructor how to get results quickly without having to use manuals. Gives students hands-on experience with technology they'll encounter in later studies or in the workplace.
- NEW--A new chapter project for the Mathematics of Finance chapter.
- Gives students useful insights into the effects of interest and other areas of Finance.
- NEW--Expanded discussion of sensitivity analysis of linear programming problems.
- Provides a timely topic to students and instructors.
- NEW--Updated examples from professional exams--Includes multiple-choice questions (labeled PE) similar to those found on CPA, GMAT, and GRE Economics exams.
- Performance on these exams is key to students entering professional and graduate programs. Familiarity with the exams may result in better performance.
- NEW--Updated real-world data throughout.
- Ensures that the material stays fresh, allowing students to clearly see the relevance of content to today's world.
- Exceptionally readable.
- The presentation is student oriented so that students should be able to learn the material by reading the book and working exercises.
- Minimum prerequisites--Reviews necessary topics from elementary mathematics as the need for them arises.
- Helps instructors deal with the great variation in student preparation and alleviates the anxiety of students who have forgotten much of their high school mathematics.
- Real-life applications--Illustrates the uses of finite mathematics in other disciplines, and, wherever possible, uses applications to motivate the mathematics.
- Gets to interesting material quickly and easily convinces students of the relevance of the material.
- Examples--Includes many more worked examples than is customary, and includes computational details.
- Enhances comprehension by students whose basic skills are weak.
- Practice Problems--At the end of each section, just before the exercise set. Complete solutions follow the exercise sets.
- Helps students focus on points that have proven to be potentially confusing or are likely to be overlooked.
- An abundance of carefully designed exercise sets--Features more than 2200 exercises--usually arranged in the order in which the text proceeds (so that homework assignments may be made easily after only part of a section is discussed). Interesting applications and more challenging problems tend to be located near the ends of the exercise sets. Supplementary exercises at the end of each chapter amplify the other exercise sets and provide cumulative exercises that require skills acquired from earlier chapters. Answers to the odd-numbered exercises are included at the back of the book.
- Helps students reinforce what they have learned and challenges them to make original connections. Since there are many more exercises than can be assigned by the instructor, ambitious students can find all the review and challenge they desire.
- Review of Fundamental Concepts.
- Points out the key concepts of a chapter and requires students to think about the significance and uses of the concepts.
- Chapter summaries--Detailed summaries of the important definitions and results from each chapter.
- Provides students with a convenient study and review tool.
- Chapter tests.
- Allows students to determine if they have mastered the important concepts of each chapter.
- Chapter projects--Develops interesting applications or enhances key concepts of the chapters.
- Can be used as in-class or out-of-class group projects, or special assignments.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Other Editions of Finite Mathematics and Its Applications - Text Only: