Summary: Foundations and Clinical Applications of Nutrition: A Nursing Approach approaches the study of nutrition and diet therapy from the personal and professional perspective of nursing students. It emphasizes the role of nursing in health promotion and primary prevention, as well as in medical nutrition therapy. Skills essential for nursing professionals are emphasized for implementation and education of patients and clients about prescribed dietary patterns. A special fe ...show moreature entitled The Nursing Approach ends each chapter, demonstrating the continual application of the nursing process to each content area, and nursing-related content is integrated throughout the text.Edition/Copyright: 3RD 04
- Margin definitions and margin notes provide further understanding of chapter content, as well as practical teaching tips for use with clients/patients.
- Life Span Approach icons highlight age-related variations that require modification of assessment and teaching.
- Teaching Tool boxes provide practical approaches to teaching clients about nutrient and medical nutrition therapy. When appropriate, specific issues of literacy such as strategies for enhancing patient education for those with low literacy skills are also presented in these boxes.
- Myth boxes provide a basis for eliminating misconceptions about nutrition and health by clarifying the facts.
- Health Debate boxes encourage students to develop their own opinions on controversial health issues.
- Social Issue boxes explore ethical, social, and community concerns on local, national, and international levels to emphasize the various influences on health and wellness.
- Cultural Considerations boxes and a cultural sensitivity approach include ethnic food pyramids and highlight multicultural issues to help students approach, interview, and assess patients from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Toward a Positive Nutrition Lifestyle sections in numerous chapters feature psychosocial strategies to support behavioral changes related to health for students and their clients/patients.
- The Nursing Approach feature demonstrates the continual application of the nursing process to each content area.
- Critical Thinking/Clinical Applications offer case study scenarios in the medical nutrition therapy chapters, allowing students to apply knowledge to actual clinical situations.
- Applying Content Knowledge sections provide review questions for students to ensure chapter content comprehension.
- Web Sites of Interest allow for further study of chapter concepts.
- The chapter on Management of Body Composition takes a contemporary approach to weight and acknowledges that total fitness and wellness can be experienced by persons of all sizes and equips nurses to educate and support this approach.
- Healthy People 2010 nutrition goals and objectives are incorporated where applicable, integrating personal nutrition goals with national objectives for communities.
- This framework clarifies how the nutritional status of our communities reflects individual nutritional health.
New to this Edition:
- Features a new chapter on Complementary and Alternative Therapies. Traditional medicine is being challenged by complementary and alternative perspectives; the authors have written this new chapter to provide students with an introduction to these perspectives.
- Includes the latest Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs) information and guidelines (including the newest publication, Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrates, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids), providing students with the tools to interpret ever-changing nutrition information, as well as the skills to make well-informed personal and professional decisions.
- A new Web Activities icon directs students online for answers to text activities, plus additional activities and answers, to enhance comprehension of chapter content.
Publisher: C.V. Mosby Co.
Other Editions of Foundations and Clinical Application of Nutrition - With CD: