This edition has also been released as:
ISBN13: 978-0470004289, 978-0534364137
ISBN10: 0470004282, 0534364136
Summary: This alternate edition covers the first 17 chapters of the main text. Three chapters omitted: nuclear chemistry, organic chemistry, and biochemistry. Edition/Copyright: 7TH 00
This book's open format and patient writing style makes chemistry accessible to all beginning students. The authors help students understand topics, boosting their confidence with problems and exercise sets. The practical aspects of chemistry are emphasized early in the book, leaving the more theoretical ...show more aspects for later. Chemistry is presented as a vital, coherent, and interesting subject.
- The Chemistry Place, a subscription Web resource for educators and students, is now available with this text. The site is created by Peregrine Publishers in partnership with leading educators. Susan Arena is a Faculty Director for The Chemistry Place.
- Student resources at The Chemistry Place include Learning Activities, ChemCoach tutorials, Chemistry in Your Life, and a Reference Section including Research News, Best of the Web, Scientific American Connection and a glossary. Students can also create custom practice tests correlated to their text with TestFlight. They also have access to a Bulletin Board where they can get help from their peers.
- Students receive access to InfoTrac College Edition--a fully searchable online university library that includes full articles from more than 600 periodicals. InfoTrac College Edition allows anytime, anywhere access to thousands of articles from such periodicals as Discover and Science World. Students can print complete articles and join in online chat sessions.
- Several of the Chemistry in Action segments have been refreshed with timely new essays, featuring contemporary topics such as hydrogen pound cars and household pollution.
- Putting It Together is a new review section that summarizes every 3-4 chapters with additional conceptually oriented exercises. These have been created to increase student retention of important concepts and stimulate critical thinking
- Illustrations for molecules and chemical reactions have been greatly enhanced to improve students' ability to visualize these dynamic objects.
- This edition includes substantially more information on the use of calculators. A new appendix provides instructions for using a variety of common scientific calculators.
- All text material has been thoroughly reviewed to make sure that all coverage is current and relevant to today's scientific community. Chapters covering Solutions and Equilibrium have been updated considerably.
- The number of additional exercises provided at the end of each chapter has been increased.
- The book's logical organization emphasizes the practical aspects of chemistry before the more abstract theoretical elements are introduced. This sequence is especially appropriate for first-time chemistry students. For example, beginning with atoms, molecules, and reactions - all a part of chemical matter - allows students to develop a basic understanding of chemical properties before moving on.
- The book's problem-solving approach was specifically developed for the needs of today's preparatory chemistry students. Hein/Arena's encouraging, step-by-step approach, introduced immediately in Chapter 2, allows students to progress naturally from exercises using simple mathematical procedures to more complex problems.
- Chemistry in Action features, interwoven regularly throughout each chapter, bring chemistry to life. These practical applications include engaging scenarios and vignettes featuring fast food, 'Fast Energy or Fast Fat'; carbon dioxide asphyxiation, 'Killer Lakes'; sour candy, 'Pucker Power'; and chlorophyll, "Autumn Leaf Color."
- Chapter Openers include dynamic four-color photos that relate real-life examples to the content for the chapter. In addition, a bulleted chapter overview and introductory paragraph appropriately provide a foundation for the coming material.
- Key terms are bolded, and highlighted in the margins when initially introduced. There is also a glossary in the text, as well as a summary of key terms at the end of each chapter. All elements are provided to help students manage the new vocabulary associated with chemistry.
- Concepts in Review summarizes major topics within the chapter.
- Key Terms emphasize terms defined within the context of the chapter.
- End of Chapter Questions refer to tables, figures, key words and key concepts defined within the chapter.
- Paired Exercises include parallel exercises presented side by side, so students can be certain to have mastered particular skills. Answers to the even-numbered exercise of the pair are included in an appendix.
- Additional Exercises are provided to further challenge students and reinforce their comprehension of chapter concepts.
- Other useful tools for students include a comprehensive Review of Mathematics in an appendix, along with a convenient Units of Measurement table found on the end-sheets.
- Answers to all Practice Problems are provided at the end of the chapter allowing students to check their work immediately. This instantaneous feedback is highly motivating for students.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2000