Summary: A parasitology text for biology and/or zoology students at the undergraduate level. Emphasizes principles with related information on the biology, physiology, morphology, and ecology of the major parasites of humans and domestic animals. This is not a diagnostic manual for medical students.
New to This Edition
- JPEG files of art from the text will be available online.
- The numerous change ...show mores in Chapter 1 include updating the table on global prevalence of various human parasites. There is also a new section entitled "Parasitology for Fun and Profit" to emphasize the fascinating study of parasites.
- Chapter 2 has been completely reorganized and retitled "Parasite Systematics, Ecology, and Evo-lution." There is increased emphasis on molecular systematics and on cladistics, providing some examples here and a plethora of examples in chapters to follow. A short section on evolution of virulence has been added.
- Chapter 3 has been rewritten, reorganized, and expanded, including a new section introducing antimicrobial peptides (defensins) and Toll-like receptors and new tables listing the many ways that protozoan and helminth parasites evade host defenses. The figure illustrating effects of cytokines on various cells has been redrawn and made easier to follow.
...show lessEdition/Copyright: 7TH 05
- Excellent illustrations--numerous line drawings and photomicrographs illustrate important morphological detail.
- Balanced approach--text presents the major phyla of parasites with a biological, ecological, and evolutionary framework.
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company
Year Published: 2005
Other Editions of Foundations of Parasitology: