Summary: Recognizing the knowledge and skills gained in first-year Spanish, the Fuentes program builds students' language proficiency by systematically refining receptive and productive skills while encouraging students to compare, contrast, and develop an appreciation of Spanish-speaking cultures. Students gain confidence through a wealth of integrated-skills practice that not only promotes recycling of previously learned materials, but also motivates them to express, infer, ...show more and negotiate meaning in the context of real-life situations.Edition/Copyright: 3RD 05
The two volumes of this program are linked by language functions, vocabulary, and high-interest, relevant themes that serve to promote critical thinking and classroom discussion. Conversación y gramática focuses on the development of listening and speaking skills while building on first-year grammar concepts. Lectura y redacción concentrates on the development of students' reading and writing skills through systematic practice and the presentation of a variety of cultural and literary selections. The two volumes may be used together or independently to meet course objectives.
- New! A lively, colorful design enhances the texts' visual appeal.
- Unifying thematic focus between the volumes of the Fuentes program encourages students to examine topics (many of which are revised/refocused in this edition to strengthen their appeal to students) from different perspectives in the corresponding chapters of Lectura y redacción and Conversación y gramática as well as in the program ancillaries. Themes presented in the listening passages of Conversación y gramática are carried throughout each corresponding chapter via a variety of activities that ask students to make inferences about the topics, to make comparisons with their own culture, and to express opinions.
- Expanding on first-year concepts, Conversación y gramática presents functions and supporting grammar with clear and concise explanations in English, usage examples in Spanish, and a series of activities--progressing from controlled to open-ended--that provides ample opportunity for self-expression and contextualized practice for pairs or groups. Charts, diagrams, and related lexical items accompanying grammar explanations help students focus on key concepts.
- Revised Preliminary Chapter offers a refocused review of first-year concepts and helps gauge students' preparedness. Additionally, based on user feedback, review of the present tense has been streamlined and presented in a single chapter.
- Revised scope and sequence addresses some more advanced topics earlier, simplifies some presentations, and eliminates topics more suitable for advanced-level courses. Scope and sequence changes include: earlier presentation of the preterit (now Chapter 2), preterit/imperfect contrast (Chapter 3), unintentional se and present perfect (Chapter 4), por and para (Chapter 6), and uses of the infinitive (Chapter 9); simplification of relative pronouns and reported speech; elimination of continuar/seguir/vivir + present participle, telling time, and ir a + present tense. Additionally, the preliminary chapter in Lectura y redacción has been eliminated to help make the text more manageable.
- Expanded cultural focus in Conversación y gramática features new and updated cultural information throughout the text in chapter activities and in the ¿Lo sabían? culture notes. New Fuentes hispanas presents the authentic voices of more than 20 Hispanics from abroad and the United States to complement the cultural information in the text; comments, opinions, descriptions of customs and lifestyles provide a basis for cultural comparisons. The Fuentes hispanas quotes introduce and contextualize vocabulary presentations, and in activities and cultural notes, stimulate discussion and comparisons.
- Increased opportunity for conversation and classroom interaction in Spanish includes more role-play activities, added in response to user feedback.
- Enhancing self-study and review, end-of-chapter vocabulary summaries now list all active vocabulary words.
- New! Enriching 70-minute Video Program correlates with the Videofuentes section following Chapter 12 in Conversación y gramática, which offers pre-, while-, and post-viewing activities for each chapter. A corresponding Videofuentes activity in each chapter of Lectura y redacción is designed for discussion or writing. Video episodes expand on the chapter themes and reinforce vocabulary and grammar.
- New and updated! Authentic journalistic and literary selections in Lectura y redacción--many new to this edition--expose students to Spanish written for native speakers and to attitudes that reflect the cultures of the Spanish-speaking world. Updated and simplified to improve accessibility and appeal, the thematically tied cultural readings in Panorama cultural expose students to academic prose and help them contextualize and understand the accompanying authentic selections.
- Resequenced presentation provides systematic practice and recycling of learning strategies and reflects the content of new reading selections. Clear and concise reading and writing strategies in Lectura y redacción help students to improve their skills. Strategy annotations are found throughout both volumes: in Lectura y redacción annotations indicate the primary strategy practiced and/or recycled in activities and provide cultural and linguistic information to supplement the readings and activities; in Conversación y gramática annotations provide hints and study tips, as well as additional cultural information.
- Expanded and updated! Pre-, active, and post-reading activities in Lectura y redacción provide ample opportunity for individual, pair and group practice and discussion. Revised to reflect the content of new reading selections, activities focus on aiding student comprehension while developing strategies needed to read authentic selections. To provide students with additional opportunities for self-expression, more personalized post-reading activities have been added.
- Process-based journal-writing activities in Lectura y redacción promote personal responses to the readings; content-based composition activities emphasize the application of specific writing strategies and provide practice in writing a variety of text types.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Year Published: 2005
Other Editions of Fuentes : Conversacion y gramatica - Text Only: