This edition has also been released as:
Summary: David Howell's practical approach focuses on the context of statistics in behavioral research, with an emphasis on looking at data before jumping into a test. This provides students with an understanding of the logic behind the statistics: why and how certain methods are used rather than just doing techniques by rote. Students move beyond number crunching to discover the meaning of statistical results and how they relate to the research questions being asked. FUNDAME ...show moreNTAL STATISTICS FOR THE BEHAVIORAL SCIENCES contains an abundance of real data and research studies as a base and moves through an analysis of data.Edition/Copyright: 5TH 04
- NEW!--New Java applets, which are adapted from Gary McClelland's SEEING STATISTICS, appear in nearly every chapter. These applets allow students to visualize statistical concepts using Java technology.
- Hundreds of exercises, most of which are based on data from published research, promote student interest and provide the context of statistics in behavioral research.
- The book's focus on understanding data and the logic of statistics helps students develop a conceptual understanding and learn to interpret statistics.
- An emphasis is placed on interpreting computer output and understanding the results of statistical analyses.
- NEW!--In keeping with the recommendations of the American Psychological Association, the text places a greater emphasis on effect sizes in experimental reports.
- NEW!--The Student Suite CD-ROM includes the Student Handbook at no additional charge. This valuable CD-ROM offers students access to hints and tips, as well as complete solutions to selected exercises from the text. It also contains Data Sets formatted for SPSS, Minitab, JMP, Excel, and ASCII, and selected Java applets from SEEING STATISTICS.
- NEW!--An SPSS manual specific to the text is now available for students.
- NEW!--The greatly enhanced Instructor Suite CD-ROM support includes Microsoft PowerPoint slides, test items, complete solutions, as well as all the components of the Student Suite.
- NEW!--BCA is our electronic testing and course management program, available both online and on CD-ROM. With no need for plug-ins or downloads, BCA offers algorithmically-generated problem values and machine-graded free response mathematics.
- Real data is used in ALL examples. This puts a real life perspective on the materials for the students and allows for much greater understanding.
- Computer output from SPSS, MINITAB, and JMP is included.
- Formulas used in the book are definitional rather than for purposes of calculation, as Howell believes formulas are there to help students define the concepts.
Publisher: Duxbury Press
Other Editions of Fundamental Statistics for Behavioral Sciences - With CD: