Summary: Designed to help readers understand the origins of lung and heart sounds, this text and CD provide all the essential information needed to interpret cardiopulmonary auscultation for accurate, efficient patient care. Content has been expanded in this edition to include cardiac anatomy and physiology and basic heart sounds, in addition to coverage of pulmonary anatomy and physiology, fundamentals of sound, bedside patient assessment, the stethoscope, mechanisms of lung ...show more and heart sounds, and the clinical applications of auscultation. Case studies and other learning features strengthen essential critical thinking skills for the clinical environment.Edition/Copyright: 3RD 04
New to this Edition
- Content addresses the principles of sound generation and analysis, from anatomy and physiology to the equipment.
- Many of the heart and lung sounds on the high-quality audio CD have been recorded from actual patients using a stethoscope for clinical realism.
- Case studies connect principles to real-life practice of lung and heart sound interpretation.
- Coverage of heart sounds has been added to this edition, including two new chapters, Cardiac Anatomy and Physiology and Heart Sounds, and additional case studies throughout the text-as well as heart sounds on the accompanying CD-reflecting the expanding role of the respiratory therapist.
- A new chapter addresses the Fundamentals of Sound (Chapter 3), explaining sound physics in order to help readers understand voice sounds, egophony, and heart sounds.
- A new chapter on The Stethoscope (Chapter 5) discusses the components of the stethoscope, its function, and safe handling.
- Key terms, Key Point boxes, Chapter Highlights, and review questions in each chapter, as well as a new glossary, help readers put concepts together to master the subject.
- The Case Studies chapter (Chapter 8) illustrates the usefulness of auscultation in patient assessment, featuring new case studies that present the history of illness, past medical history, physical examination, lab data, and questions to interpret the diagnosis.
Publisher: C.V. Mosby Co.