This edition has also been released as:
Summary: Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry, Eighth Edition is known for its readability combined with a systematic, rigorous approach that characterizes this classic text. Extensive coverage of the principles and practices of quantitative chemistry ensures suitability for chemistry majors. These award-winning authors include applications throughout industry, medicine, and all the sciences. The text's new design and wealth of new photographs by renowned chemistry photograph ...show moreer Charlie Winters serve to reinforce student learning through dynamic visuals. Reflecting the increased emphasis of spreadsheets as a tool in analytical chemistry, this new edition adds an additional chapter, new problems and a new supplement, Excel Applications for Analytical Chemistry, that integrate this important aspect of the study of analytical chemistry into its already rich pedagogy. In addition, the Interactive Analytical Chemistry CD-ROM, packaged Free with every new text, enhances conceptual understanding through hands-on integrated multimedia interactivity.Edition/Copyright: 8TH 04
- NEW! A new Chapter 3, "Using Spreadsheets in Analytical Chemistry," has been added to this edition to introduce and emphasize the importance of this tool to the subject matter.
- NEW! The mock sampling experiment from the previous edition has been augmented in the Eighth Edition with the ddition of a determination of phosphate in mixtures to find the variance due to sampling.
- NEW! Electrochemistry chapters have been revised and brought into conformity with current usage (IUPAC).
- NEW! New Chapter 8, "Sampling, Standardization, and Calibration," consolidates coverage of sampling, sample handling, external and internal standards, and standard additions, and includes new coverage of calibration and standardization.
- NEW! New Chapter 33, "Miscellaneous Separation Methods," includes capillary electrophoresis, electrochromatography, and field flow fractionation.
- NEW! End-of-chapter "Web Works" and Web-related problems are highlighted by an icon that prompts students to extend their learning online. Web links will be provided at http://www.brookscole.com/chemistry.
- NEW! Interviews with prominent analytical chemists appear in the part openers and help students see chemists as real people. The interviews explore how these scientists became interested in analytical chemistry and describe their career paths.
- NEW! Several new feature boxes are presented within the text's chapters including descriptions of Breath Alcohol Analyzers, Lap-on-a-Chip Technology, Modified Electrodes, Enzymatic Determination of Urea, GC/MS, C/MS, LC/MS/MS, and Capillary Electrophoresis in DNA Sequencing.
- 100 exclusive new photographs taken by renowned chemistry photographer, Charlie Winters, with the help of co-author Jim Holler appear in the color plates in the middle of the book as well as throughout. Each chapter begins with an application-type photograph and an accompanying story.
- New Flow injection analysis experiments are included. There are 52 experiments in Chapter 37.
- Titrations: The master equation approach is presented in a feature and illustrated through the use of spreadsheets in the supplement.
- NEW! Several new spreadsheet exercises and problems have been integrated into the examples and end-of-chapter material in appropriate chapters.
- Equilibria: Log concentration diagrams are presented as features. Elaboration is provided in the spreadsheet supplement.
- Molecular models are liberally used in most chapters to stimulate interest in the beauty of molecular structures and to reinforce structural concepts and descriptive chemistry presented in general chemistry and upper-level courses.
- A wide spectrum of applications including developments in biology, medicine, and environmental science illustrates the exciting nature of the field and provides relevancy to the material.
- NEW! A new spreadsheet supplement, EXCEL® APPLICATIONS FOR ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY (by F. James Holler and Stanley R. Crouch), is a tutorial experience for students to learn spreadsheets in the context of analytical applications. For added convenience and value, this supplement can be packaged with the textbook.
- NEW! The new spreadsheet supplement utilizes many of Excel's features including Goal Seek, Solver, and the Analysis Toolpak. Statistical data treatment includes descriptive statistics, linear regression, hypothesis testing, and Analysis of Variance. Tutorial exercises include nonlinear regression such as fitting the Van Deemter equation, fitting kinetics data, determining error coefficients in spectrophotometry, and calculating titration curves. Additional features include solving complex systems of equilibrium equations, advanced graphical methods: error bars, charts with insets, matrices and determinants and much more.
- NEW! FREE with every new copy of the text, this edition is accompanied by the new Interactive Analytical Chemistry CD-ROM. Prompted by icons with captions in the text, students are directed to explore corresponding Intelligent Tutors, Guided Simulations, and Media-based Exercises. The CD-ROM includes tutorials on statistics, equilibria, spectrophotometry, electroanalytical chemistry, chromatography, atomic absorption spectroscopy, and gravimetric and combustion analysis.
- NEW! The statistics chapters have been revamped and analysis of variance (ANOVA) has been included.
- NEW! Thought-provoking and research-oriented "Challenge" problems have been added at the end of each chapter. These open-ended problems are based on data from the literature, current topics of interest, and information accessible on the World Wide Web.
- NEW! The significantly revised and enhanced art program features new Microsoft® Excel® screenshots, techniques, procedures, and applications with descriptive captions that visually reinforce student understanding.
- NEW! The Eighth Edition features exclusive new photographs taken by renowned chemistry photographer, Charlie Winters, with the help of co-author F. James Holler. Each chapter begins with an application-type photograph and an accompanying relevant and interesting story. There are also new full-color photographs of analytical lab chemistry.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2004
Other Editions of Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry / With CD: