This edition has also been released as:
Summary: FUNDAMENTALS OF PHYSIOLOGY, Third Edition, is based on Lauralee Sherwood's best selling Fifth Edition of HUMAN PHYSIOLOGY: FROM CELLS TO SYSTEMS. While both texts cover the same key topics in a current, engaging, and clinically relevant manner, FUNDAMENTALS OF PHYSIOLOGY is briefer, lower in level, and requires less of a background in chemistry, physics, and math than its sister text. Essential content is organized around the central theme of homeostasis, as demonstr ...show moreated by the system-specific homeostatic model that opens each chapter, as well as the "Focus on Homeostasis" that completes each chapter. New to this edition are process-oriented figures, created to aid today's visual learners. These figures include step-by-step descriptions summarizing and integrating various aspects of essential concepts. Another noteworthy addition is the comparative and early introduction of "Principles of Neural and Hormonal Communication"--a NEW Chapter 4. This edition also showcases an emphasis on real-life experiences, using analogies as well as new "Clinical Note" icons, which flag clinically relevant material. The text is also supported by PhysioEdge 2--arguably the best student CD-ROM on the market--which ties concepts and art together with narration and animation. This free CD-ROM has been revised to include new media exercises and tutorials, and is integrated with this Third Edition to encourage students make optimal use of the available media. Instructors are likely to find indispensable our Multimedia Manager with Instructor Resources--a CD containing ALL line art from the text, over 40 animations, electronic versions of instructor materials, and Microsoft® PowerPoint® lectures.Edition/Copyright: 3RD 06
- NEW! A new, comparative chapter (Chapter 4) on Principles of Cellular and Hormonal Communication introduces the underlying mechanisms of neural and hormonal action early, before specific hormones are mentioned in succeeding chapters. This chapter provides basic material necessary for understanding hormone action, but allows the endocrine system to be discussed as a summarizing/capstone system of organs at the end of the book. As an added benefit, this new organization places the discussion of intercellular communication in a more relevant context.
- This text's signature brevity and accessible level makes it ideal for freshman and sophomore level courses.
- Homeostasis--how the body meets changing demands while maintaining the internal constancy necessary for all cells and organs to function--is the organizing theme of the book; each chapter opens with an illustrated homeostatic model and concludes with a "Focus on Homeostasis" feature to lend perspective.
- "Beyond the Basics" boxed features in each chapter expose students to noteworthy information on topics as diverse as exercise physiology, stem cell research, strokes, and acupuncture.
- Appendices (rather than chapters) on basic chemistry, chemistry of acid-base balance, and genetics, serve as a reference for those who need to review or enhance their knowledge of these topics.
- NEW! The book has a new emphasis on clinical material, as evidenced by the use of "Clinical Note" icons. These icons flag clinically relevant material without boxing it, thus maintaining the flow of information.
- NEW! This title comes packaged with a robust testing/diagnostic tool, PhysioEdge 2 that illustrates concepts that many students may otherwise find difficult. It contains almost 60 animations integrated into 9 instructive tutorials. PhysioEdge 2 also contains 59 interactive media exercises based on the line art found in the text. About 900 questions with varying types and levels of difficulty--including Intro Questions, Tutorial Questions, and Review Questions--are integrated with the detailed tutorials.
- NEW! The chapter on the peripheral nervous system from the previous edition is now divided into two chapters, to give instructors more flexibility in assigning material. Chapter 6 focuses on the afferent division of the PNS (the special senses), and can easily be skipped by those who wish to do so. Chapter 7 focuses on the efferent division and ends with the neuromuscular junction, providing an easy link to Chapter 8 on muscle physiology.
- NEW! The media exercises and animated tutorials on the accompany CD are fully integrated with both the text and the illustrations to help students effectively coordinate all of their learning assets.
- NEW! The end-of-chapter material in this edition has been enhanced. The major points of each chapter are now presented in concise section-by-section bulleted lists, with page number, figure, and table cross-references, allowing students to study more efficiently by using both written and visual information.
- NEW! More headings have been added to create more manageable chunks of information and to make it easier to locate material at a glance.
- NEW! A separate index has been added to direct the reader to all the content related to exercise physiology.
- NEW! Chapter Contents at-a-Glance sections, which now open each chapter, offer students a roadmap to the book, as well as clear learning objectives.
Publisher: West Publishing Co. (College)
Other Editions of Fundamentals of Physiology : A Human Perspective - With CD: