ISBN13:978-0415259538 ISBN10: 0415259533 This edition has also been released as: ISBN13: 978-0415259521 ISBN10: 0415259525
Summary: The Gender and Sport:A Reader brings together influential articles that confront and illuminate issues of gender and sexuality in sport and includes pieces from many of the worlds leading figures in the sociology of sport. Representing a guide to key contemporary debates in the subject, the book closely examines the relationship between gender and sport in the context of, theoretical developments within sport feminism, the history of sport, the media, race and cultur
e, sexuality, bodies, physicality and power, concepts of masculinity, policy and politics.
Summary: The Gender and Sport:A Reader brings together influential articles that confront and illuminate issues of gender and sexuality in sport and includes pieces from many of the worlds leading figures in the sociology of sport. Representing a guide to key contemporary debates in the subject, the book closely examines the relationship between gender and sport in the context of, theoretical developments within sport feminism, the history of sport, the media, race and culture, sexuality, bodies, physicality and power, concepts of masculinity, policy and politics. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:01 Cover: Paperback Publisher:Routledge N. Y. Year Published: 2001 International: No
View Table of Contents
Section One:Theorising Gender
1. The Discourse of Gender and Sport:From Femininity to Feminism, M.A. Hall 2. Just Do ---- What? Sport, Bodies, Gender, S. Dworking and M. Messner 3. Sport Feminism:The Contribution of Feminist Thought to Our Understandings of Gender and Sport, S. Scranton and A. Flintoff
Section Two:Historical Developments- The Engendering of Sport
4. The Victorian Cult of the Family and the Early Years of Female Sport, J. Hargreaves 5. Women and Football- A Contradiction? The Beginnings of Women's Football in Four European Countries, G. Pfister, S. Scranton, and K. Fasting
Section Three:The Media and Representation
6. Denial of Power in Televised Women's Sports, M. Duncan and C. Hasbrook 7. Catching Up with the Men? Finnish Newspaper Coverage of Women's Entry Into Traditionally Male Sports, R. Pirinen
Section Four:'Race' and Ethnicity
8. Dynamics of 'Race', Gender and the Concept of 'Difference', M. Maynard 9. Connecting Ethnicity, Gender, and Physicality:Muslim Pakistani Women, Physical Activity and Health, S. Wray 10. Sport, Masculinity and Black Cultural Resistance, B. Carrington
Section Five:Men Masculinities
11. The Men and The Boys, R.W. Connell 12. Fraternal Bonding in the Locker Room:A Profeminist Analysis of Talk About Competition and Women, I. Curry
Section Six: Sexualities
13. Changing the Game:Homophobia, Sexism, and Lesbians in Sport, P. Griffin 14. Outlaws in Sport and Education? Exploring the Sporting and Education Experiences of Lesbian Physical Education Teachers, G. Clarke
Section Seven:Bodies, Physicality and Power
15. The Embodiment of Gender:Discipline, Domination and Empowerment, D. Whitson 16. Collapsing Gender in Competitive Bodybuilding:Researching the Contradictions and Ambiguity in Sport, C. Obel 17. Men Loving Men Hating Women- The Crisis of Masculinity and Violence to Women in Sport, C. Brackenridge
Section Eight:Policies and Politics
18. International Women and Sport Policies, M. Talbot 19. Challenges to the Gendered Space of Sport:Women's Ice Hockey and the Struggle for Legitimacy, N. Theberge
Order this book in the next 22 hours and 47 minutes and it ships by Noon CT tomorrow!
New Currently Sold Out
Due back 12/18/2015
Save $17.96 (22%)
Free return shipping
21-day satisfaction guarantee
CDs or access codes may not be included
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.