This edition has also been released as:
ISBN13: 978-0534408619, 978-0534418519
ISBN10: 0534408613, 0534418511
Summary: The best-selling text, GENERAL CHEMISTRY by Whitten/Davis/Peck/Stanley is best summarized by "classic text, modern presentation." This simple phrase underlies its strong emphasis is on fundamental skills and concepts. As in previous editions, clearly explained problem-solving strategies continue to be the strength of this student-friendly text. This revision builds on the highly praised style and applications to everyday life that have earned this text a re ...show moreputation as the voice of authority in general chemistry. Whitten always has been viewed as one of the few truly "traditional" General Chemistry texts. Examples of this are that the text covers Thermodynamics, normally a topic split into two parts and covered in two different semesters, in one chapter and begins the second half of the course. GENERAL CHEMISTRY, 7th also follows a standard narrative-example-problem format, has a solid traditional writing style, and promotes problem solving. However, the authors have added some new elements over the years to reflect changes in chemical education. These include adding in conceptual questions in the problem sets, adding features like the CHEMISTRY IN USE boxes to show how chemistry is used in daily life, and further promoting problem solving by including hints and checks for students.Edition/Copyright: 7TH 04
- NEW! A new feature uses in-text icons to highlight common mistakes students make and ways to correct them.
- The book has historical margin notes to show students where chemical ideas came from and important figures from Chemistry's past.
- A great number of worked examples and helpful problem-solving tips provide students with all of the help they need to gain better understanding and master of chemical concepts.
- Readability, accuracy, comprehensiveness are perennial strengths of this text with strong on basics such as drawing and interpreting Lewis structures.
- The end-of-chapter exercises contain an excellent variety of problems, ranging from skill building drill problems to more-challenging Conceptual and Building Your Knowledge problems. Included are many environmental and industrial applications.
- NEW! Additional conceptual questions have been added in the problem sets.
- NEW! Web links have been added throughout the text via Scilinks a nationally recognized resource of chemistry websites. Scilinks is associated with the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA).
- NEW! More "macro-micro" art has been added to this edition.
- NEW! Complimentary access to InfoTrac® College Edition is automatically packaged with this book! You and your students will receive four months of FREE access to an easy-to-use online database of full-length articles (not abstracts) from thousands of academic journals and popular sources spanning more than twenty years.
- Included with the text is General Chemistry Interactive CD-ROM, Version 3.0, a revolutionary multi-media toll that is fully integrated into the text. Prompted by an icon, students explore corresponding CD-ROM tutorials, guided simulations, and media-based exercises. This dynamic and proven tool enhances student learning and efficiency by directly leading them to think and explore through interactive computer-based exercises.
- The text contains macro-micro art and both ball-and-stick and space-filling molecular art to assist students in visualization. This artwork shows molecules in an "exploded" format in order to help understand molecular behavior. Much of the artwork has been created using updated software, in order to enhance the visual presentation.
- To help students see connections between chemistry and everyday life, the book has chapter opening applications, Chemistry In Use boxes, and Scilinks websites
- In an overall effort to assist students, the book has Problem-Solving Tip boxes, a Plan-Solution strategy in the examples, Enrichment sections, the new common mistake feature, and a section of conceptual problems in the problem sets.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2004
Other Editions of General Chemistry / With 2 CD's: