This edition has also been released as:
ISBN13: 978-0495113058, 978-0495114970
ISBN10: 0495113050, 0495114979
Summary: Edition/Copyright: 5TH 08
How the book will help you in the course:
- As students read through the text, they will see icons directing them to the media-enhanced activities in ThomsonNOW® for Geology and the Environment, Fifth Edition. ThomsonNOW offers a pre- and post-assessment to create a Personalized ...show moreStudy plan, focusing each student's study time on specific concepts weaknesses. Access to ThomsonNOW is packaged with most new copies of the text.
- CASE STUDIES are designed to introduce real-world examples by highlighting specific events or topics directly related to each specific discussion. Examples include financial bonding of mines and one documenting attempts to control desertification in China.
- Chapter 1 (Humans, Geology, and the Environment) emphasizes the significance of student decision-making by including material on careers, resources and relevancy, and a table illustrating important environmental legislation.
- CONSIDER THIS interaction questions in each chapter appear within the narrative, encouraging student to hone their critical-thinking skills.
- Praised by students and instructors for their conceptual emphasis, Pipkin/Trent/Hazlett's end-of-chapter SUMMARIES are organized around the chapter outline to provide a concise review.
- Unique PHOTO GALLERIES located before the end-of-chapter material engage students by reinforcing the applicable concept(s) while illustrating how the beauty of nature is formed through geologic processes.
- GEOLOGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT incorporates multiple aspects of environmental geology such as environmental law, land-use planning, engineering geology, and medical geology, into discussion of each geological phenomenon.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2008