Summary: For introductory courses in Geographic Information Systems. Edition/Copyright: 4TH 03
Designed to make the complexity of this rapidly growing high-tech field accessible to beginning students, this text provides a basic, non-technical and student-friendly introduction to GIS. It uses a "learn-by-seeing" approach that features clear, simple explanations, an abundance of illustrations and photos, and generic practice labs for use with any GIS software. The Fourth Edition is ...show moreupdated with software and laboratory assignments for ArcView 8.
- NEW--Software and laboratory assignments for ArcView 8.
- Allows students to work on lab assignments outside of university labs.
- NEW--New Case Study--Featuring a GIS application to the World Trade Center Tragedy (Ch. 9).
- Shows students the use of GIS in the field.
- NEW--Revision of Chapter 6--Includes revised and new spatial analytical examples, including map overlay.
- Helps students think critically when using GIS.
- NEW--Updated information sources and web sites.
- Ensures that students are getting the most current and accurate data available.
- NEW--New section in Chapter 10 on location-based services.
- Provides insight into a new and developing market for GIS.
- NEW--Extensive and updated WWW site--Contains review exercises, an online lab manual, and additional resources.
- A "learn-by-seeing" approach--Uses basic, simple language augmented with many examples, diagrams, and photographs.
- Enhances the learning experience for students.
- Comprehensive, integrated coverage--Covers, in one text, the basic GIS material that is traditionally scattered throughout the Geography curriculum--e.g., in Cartography, GIS spatial analysis and quantitative methods.
- Gives students a convenient, concise reference.
- Screen shots from actual software applications.
- Illustrates discussions of specific pieces of software.
- People in GIS boxes--Profiles individuals working on some aspect of GIS, and features an interview that focuses on that individual's educational preparation, professional career steps, on-the-job experiences, etc.
- Gives students an idea of what to expect in the professional world.
- Chapter-end Study Guides--Feature point-by-point summaries and topic-by-topic discussion questions, and a glossary of key terms and definitions.
- Gives students a chance to review material and evaluate their learning.
- On-line lab exercises--Each chapter is complemented by an on-line lab exercise presented on the text's web site and www.prenhall.com/clarke.
- Encourages students to gain hands-on experience after learning the theoretical material.
- Upgraded graphics system.
- Portrays the concepts presented more clearly and accurately for students.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Other Editions of Getting Started With Geography Information Syst. / With CD: