Summary: Golosa is part of a two-volume series communicative approach to Introductory Russian that is designed to help students reach the Intermediate range in speaking and listening plus reading and writing. Each volume of Golosa includes a main textbook, a student workbook with audio drills and written exercises, and an audio program that runs approximately ten hours per volume and includes listening comprehension exercises, dialogs, conversations, and rapid-pace oral drill ...show mores. In addition, a Companion Website offers additional lexical and grammatical exercises from each chapter plus links to authentic Russian websites, and the entire Golosa audio program is available online. Edition/Copyright: 3RD 03
Each unit in the program revolves around a theme (university, family, etc.), and follows the same basic format: introduction of basic vocabulary for the chapter theme, listening to introductory conversations, short dialogs with activities and role-play practice, practice in listening and reading with emphasis on strategies, grammar study and practice in both oral and written form, and written workbook exercises that go from mechanical skill-building to creative skill-using.
- NEW -- Golosa Companion Web Site -- Features all the audio for the Lab Manual, video segments, interactive exercises and activities plus links to authentic sites.
- Audio -- The website contains all the audio for the Lab Manual activities.
- Students can easily download and listen to the audio segments in order to complete the Lab Manual activities from any computerwith an internet connection.
- Video -- Easy-to-follow short interviews with real Russians in Russia.
- Students can watch these videos outside of class and build their language skills.
- Readings -- Authentic readings accompanied by pre- and post-text activities.
- Builds on the readings provided in the text and allows students to continue to build their reading skills.
- Online interactive exercises and activities -- Interactive online activities and exercises are corrected automatically.
- Saves instructors time grading and provides students with immediate feedback.
- Listening Activities -- Additional to those provided in the audioprogram.
- Ensures students are able to build their listening skills.
- Website URLs for active Russian-language sites listed.
- Provides students with the most up-to-date information on specific topics.
- Instructor's Resource Manual -- Provided online.
- Instructors can easily download information and customize it.
- Golosa Text
- NEW -- Grammar sections offset in tinted pages.
- Present an analytical view of the grammatical structures in the unit, and help students visually identify each unit's grammar structure.
- NEW -- Grammar Introduction activities -- Streamlined for ease of student use and understanding.
- Assists students with understanding the new grammar.
- NEW -- Expanded Readings -- Readings skills are developed in 2 ways.
- In text -- semi-authentic passages are presented in the text and are easily accessible to beginning students.
- Website and Workbook readings -- Truly authentic texts with pre- and post-text workups appear in the Workbook and Website.
- NEW -- Expanded listening -- Listening skills are practiced in 2 ways.
- In text -- The most accessible scripts and tasks appear in the text.
- Website -- More challenging authentic scripts are on the Website.
- NEW -- Updates to many cultural notes.
- Provides current cultural information.
- NEW -- More English-Russian translation exercises.
- These simple exercises available in both the text and on the Website target the areas that English speakers have the most difficulty with such as possessives, y-constructions and subjectless sentences.
- A true communicative context.
- Teaches students to use what they have to communicate, while giving them the grammar and vocabulary to grow for the future.
- Alphabet unit -- Introduces the Russian writing system: print, script and keyboarding. Also, introduces numbers and geographical names.
- Separation of skills -- Addresses each language skill (speaking, reading, writing, listening) in its own right.
- Flexibility -- Dictates no particular methodological approach. All skills are presented on an equal footing.
- Allows teachers and students to choose to focus on those skills which best serve their needs without violating the structural integrity of individual units or the book as a whole.
- Moves classes faster by eliminating some of the activities for reading and listening for content.
- Spiraling approach.
- Exposes students repeatedly to similar functions and structures at an increasing level of complexity.
- Learner-centered -- Each unit puts students into communicative settings in all four skills.
- In addition to core lexicon, students acquire personalized vocabulary for individual needs.
- Variety of exercises -- Oral drills and written exercises progress from mechanical to contextualized to individualized activities.
- Learning strategies -- Features a variety of types of exercises
- Ensures that students acquire strategies for productive and receptive skills regardless of their individual learning styles.
- Numbers, phonetics and intonation -- Presents and practices pronunciation (segmental and suprasegmental features) in each unit in conjunction with material covered rather than in isolation.
- Cultural relevance -- Embeds all texts and conversations within culture relevant to Russia today.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Other Editions of Golosa : Basic Course in Russian, Book 1: