Summary: With clear, accessible language and practical, concrete examples from real writing and teaching situations, Grammar for Language Arts Teachers (GLAT) provides a contextualized and comprehensive overview of English grammar. Edition/Copyright: 03
Unlike other advanced grammar textbooks, GLAT has been developed for pre-service teachers "from the ground up." The result is a practical and effective text that provides students with a solid foundation in grammar as well as ...show moreclassroom-tested strategies for applying these principles to students' own writing and teaching methods. Avoiding technical discussions that focus on terminology and overly subtle distinctions, GLAT is built upon straightforward instruction, lively examples, compelling exercises, and clear connections to classroom applications. GLAT is designed to not only broaden students' knowledge of English grammar, but also help students become better communicators, competent users of the English language, and more effective language arts teachers.
- Highly focused and relevant content: GLAT discusses only those concepts of English grammar that are 1.) necessary to provide novice learners with a coherent sense of English structure; 2) background information that English teachers need to do their job effectively.
- Streamlined organization: Each chapter is divided into three parts: Part 1: Grammar Concepts, which provides grammar instruction and theory; Part 2: Challenges for Writers, which focuses on the common problems novice writers experience with the grammar concepts discussed in Part One, as well as strategies to help eradicate these problems; and, in appropriate chapters, Part 3: Style, Choice and Conventions, which helps students clarify and improve their writing.
- Each chapter emphasizes aspects of English grammar that are related to common problems experienced by apprentice writers. The text also offers a wealth of detailed remediation strategies that novice writers can employ to recognize and overcome such grammar problems.
- Sensitive to students' attitudes toward grammar, the text includes straightforward and clear explanations and varied and effective examples to make grammatical concepts transparent and useful, rather than mysterious and arcane.
- Numerous compelling exercises conclude each Part within every chapter. Chapters include "Practice Exercises," which help students review and understand the grammar concepts presented in each chapter, and most chapters also include "Exercises for Classroom Applications," which ask students to apply grammar concepts to real classroom situations.
- Includes an entire chapter devoted to writing. The last chapter of the text provides thorough and effective discussions on writing as well as revising.
- Discussions build on and reinforce students' existing knowledge of language and grammar helping them draw on their own innate understanding of language and boosting their confidence.
Publisher: Longman, Inc.