Summary: This edition has evolved to address the needs of today's student. While maintaining its unique table of contents and functions-based approach, the text now includes additional components to build skill, address critical thinking, solve applications, and apply technology to support traditional algebraic solutions. It continues to incorporate an open design, helpful features, careful explanations of topics, and a comprehensive package of supplements and study aids to ...show moreprovide new and relevant opportunities for learning and teaching.Edition/Copyright: 4TH 07
- Chapter Openers. These provide a motivating application that is tied to the chapter content, plus a list of the sections in the chapter. Most openers have been updated or are entirely new to this edition.
- Enhanced Examples. We have added even more examples in this edition, have carefully polished all solutions, and incorporated more side comments. Red comments with pointers, which are new to this edition, provide students with on-the-spot reminders and warnings about common pitfalls.
- Dual Solution Format. Selected examples provide side-by-side analytic and graphing calculator solutions to connect traditional analytic methods for solving problems with graphical methods of solution or support. Some of these examples are now marked with an icon to indicate that additional information on the graphing calculator solution is included in the Graphing Calculator Manual that accompanies the text.
- Figures and Photos. Today's students are more visually oriented than ever. As a result, a concerted effort has been made to provide more figures, diagrams, tables, and graphs, including the new ''hand-drawn'' style of graphs, whenever possible. The number of photos accompanying applications in examples and exercises is almost double the number in the previous edition.
- Function Capsules. These special boxes offer a comprehensive, visual introduction to each class of function and serve as an excellent resource for reference and review. Each capsule includes traditional and calculator graphs and a calculator table of values, as well as the domain, range, and other specific information about the function. Abbreviated versions of all function capsules are provided on the inside back cover of the text.
- What Went Wrong?. This popular feature anticipates typical errors that students make when using graphing technology and provides an avenue for instructors to highlight and discuss such errors. Answers are included on the same page as the What Went Wrong? boxes
- Cautions and Notes. These warn students of common errors and emphasize important ideas throughout the exposition.
- Looking Ahead to Calculus. These margin notes provide glimpses of how the algebraic topics currently being studied are used in calculus.
- Technology Notes. Also appearing in the margin, these notes provide tips to students on how to use graphing calculators more effectively. Some notes are now marked with an icon to indicate that additional information on graphing technology is included in the Graphing Calculator Manual that accompanies the text.
- For Discussion. These appear within the exposition or in the margins and suggest ideas for instructors and students to investigate or discuss in class.
- Exercise Sets. We have taken special care to respond to the suggestions of users and reviewers and have added about 1150 new exercises to this edition based on their feedback. As a result, the text includes more problems than ever to provide students with ample opportunities to practice, apply, connect, and extend concepts and skills. We have included writing exercises, as well as multiple-choice, matching, true/false, and completion problems. Concept Check problems focus on mathematical thinking and conceptual understanding.
- Relating Concepts. Appearing in selected exercise sets, these groups of exercises tie together topics and highlight relationships among various concepts and skills. All answers to these problems appear in the answer section at the back of the book.
- Reviewing Basic Concepts. These sets of exercises, in selected sections, allow students to review and check their understanding of the material in preceding sections. All answers to these problems are included in the answer section.
- Chapter Reviews. One of the most popular features of the text, each end-of-chapter Summary features a section-by-section list of Key Terms and Symbols in addition to Key Concepts. A comprehensive set of Review Exercises and a Chapter Test are also included.
- Chapter Projects. Each chapter concludes with a project that students can complete individually or collaboratively using the material from the chapter.
Publisher: Addison-Wesley Longman, Inc.