This edition has also been released as:
ISBN13: 978-0618260461, 978-1424034871
ISBN10: 0618260463, 1424034876
Summary: Greater Essays emphasizes the brainstorming, revising, and vocabulary skills necessary for high-intermediate to advanced ESL students to produce polished essays. At the heart of this text is a focus on the essay revision process, introduced within each chapter by a series of sample essays that model each stage--from the original draft to the draft with instructor comments to the essay revised in response to feedback. This process helps students understand and acquire ...show more strategies for their own writing, and the guidance that accompanies each model builds student confidence.Edition/Copyright: 07
The models represent a variety of rhetorical styles, including process and persuasive essays. Along with these selections, the text provides authentic academic readings that serve as material for students to critique in their work. Extensive in-text and online practice exercises and activities emphasize vocabulary development and prepare students to be effective essay writers.
- Sample essays reflect a combination of rhetorical modes--including process, comparison/contrast, cause/effect, persuasive, and narrative--to expose students to a rich variety of written communication.
- Authentic academic readings introduce students to the language of college texts and prepare students for study in multiple disciplines.
- A range of sample student responses follow essay-writing prompts, demonstrating the different approaches students can take to a single question.
- Over 100 practice activities accompany the sample essays and focus on pre-writing, revising, organizing, sentence, and grammar skills--all of which are essential to academic success.
- Sixty suggestions for additional essay-writing assignments serve as useful resources for students.
- Comprehensive grammar coverage includes five focused grammar points per unit, with accompanying exercises that offer practice in the language of academic writing.
- Appendices provide supplementary instruction in such essential areas as sentence types, grammar, and word forms.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Year Published: 2007
Other Editions of Greater Essays -Text Only: