Townsend Press will continue to sell the 2/e of Groundwork for a Better Vocabulary through summer 2004 or until copies are exhausted.
A slightly higher-level text than Vocabulary Basics, the newly-revised edition of Groundwork for a Better Vocabulary has been expanded so that it now teaches 250 essential words and 100 more than were covered in the first edition.
- More practice. Several new activities have been added to each chapter, including practice in 1) related words, 2) word parts or analogies or synonyms-antonyms, and 3) use of the words in short speaking and writing exercises. In addition, chapters now repeat more words from earlier chapters, allowing for greater reinforcement. Also, crossword puzzles provide unit reviews. The diverse and expanded practice helps ensure that the 250 core words become part of a student's permanent word bank.
- Inferential exercises. To get students interacting with new words right from the start, each chapter now begins by asking students to infer the meaning of a word based on its use in two sentences.
- An even more pleasing design. The size of the book has been enlarged to the same size as the other books in the Townsend Press vocabulary series. In addition, a larger print has been used in the second edition, making the book even more readable for basic students.
- Ease of grading. In response to instructor requests, answer spaces can now be filled in either with a letter (so that a Scantron machine or answer key can be used) or with the word itself.
- Outstanding price. While the book has been greatly expanded, the modest net price of $7.90 keeps it very affordable for students. As with all the Townsend Press vocabulary books, the emphasis is on the highest possible quality at the lowest possible price.