Summary: A slightly higher-level text than Vocabulary Basics, the newly-revised edition of Groundwork for a Better Vocabulary has been expanded so that it now teaches 300 essential words -- 50 more than were covered in the first edition. Edition/Copyright: 3RD 04
Changes in the Third Edition:
- Thirteen words have been changed, and an entirely new Unit Six, teaching fifty additional words, has been added. Groundwork for a Bette ...show morer Vocabulary now contains 300 words, as do the higher-level TP vocabulary books.
- To make room for Unit Six, the "Related Words" activities in each chapter have been moved to a special section in the Instructor's Manual and Test Bank. Instructors who have adopted the book may photocopy these activities (or anything else in the IMTB) for classroom use.
- A new section, "Topics for Discussion and Writing," contains the "Questions for Discussion" and "Ideas for Writing" that formerly concluded the vocabulary chapters. Each of the seven high-interest items uses one or more of the vocabulary words in the chapter in a brief scenario suitable for class or small-group discussion, writing, or both.
- Finally, many practice items throughout the book have been revised or updated to ensure that each item works as clearly and effectively as possible with students.
- AN INTENSIVE WORDS-IN-CONTEXT APPROACH. Studies show that students learn words best by seeing them repeatedly in different contexts, not through rote memorization. The books present each word in a number of contexts. Every encounter increases the chance that a word will become part of a student's permanent word bank.
- ABUNDANT PRACTICE. In addition to the extensive practice in each chapter, there are unit tests and a crossword puzzle review. Moreover, most chapters repeat words from earlier chapters, allowing for even more reinforcement. And there are added tests in the Test Bank and the computer disks that come with each book. All this practice means that students learn in the best possible way: by working closely and repeatedly with each word.
- APPEALING CONTENT. Dull practice materials work against learning. The lively content and clear and friendly style of the books make learning easier for students.
- EMPHASIS ON KEY WORDS. In creating the six-book series, a computer was used to help consolidate a wide number of word frequency lists. The result is a core of essential words, sequenced in order of difficulty, that are most helpful for students to know.
- REALISTIC PRICING. The books offer the highest possible quality at the lowest possible prices: all of the books sell for no more than $8.90 net. The modest prices mean that the books can serve as inexpensive supplements for any reading or writing course.
Publisher: Townsend Press
Year Published: 2004