Summary: Far more than a recipe book of techniques that readers can pull out at the right time, this book encourages readers not only to use techniques sensitively and creatively in their own groups, but also to go one step further to invent their own techniques. The authors draw on their combined experiences as teachers, as consultants to mental-health professionals, and as private practitioners to provide readers with a realistic approach to group work. Emphasizing that tec ...show morehniques are means, not ends, the book is designed to enhance the group leader's ability to generate a therapeutic and human rapport between leader and members.Edition/Copyright: 3RD 04
- The authors draw upon their clinical experiences in leading groups and training group leaders to flesh out examples and discussion of key concepts.
- NEW! Direct references to THEORY AND PRACTICE OF GROUP COUNSELING in Chapters 3 through 7 help students see how the specific techniques relate to the theories.
- NEW! Exercises and references in Chapters 4 through 7 relate to video segments from EVOLUTION OF A GROUP: STUDENT VIDEO AND WORKBOOK. This accessible video/workbook package, which lets students actually "see" a real group in action, can be bundled with GROUP TECHNIQUES.
- The book's design, along with its numerous activities, allows it to be a text, a student manual, and a reference work for practitioners.
- Types of techniques presented in the book include creating trust, dealing with resistance, starting a session, working with dreams, working with intense emotions, and ending a session.
- The authors present specific examples for each stage of a group to help students better understand what happens during a particular group stage.
- Students will learn about the role of cultural factors in the use of group techniques.
- The book discusses ethics as applied to group techniques.
- NEW! Chapter 3, "Techniques for Preparing Groups," includes new material on psychoeducational groups.
- NEW! The book now offers new material on the connection between theory and practice, with emphasis on the various theories and the techniques that are associated with the theories.
- NEW! Brief commentaries provide students with information on how the examples described in the book are related to different group counseling theories.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.