A comprehensive introduction to Old English, combining simple, clear philology with the best literary works to provide a compelling and accessible beginners guide.
- Provides a comprehensive introduction to Old English
- Uses a practical approach suited to the needs of the beginning student
- Features selections from the greatest works of Old English literature, organized from simple to more challenging texts to keep pace with the reader
- Includes a discussion of Anglo-Saxon literature, history, and culture, and a bibliography directing readers to useful publications on the subject
- Updated throughout with new material including the first 25 lines from Beowulf with detailed annotation and an explanation of Grimms and Verners laws