Summary: The Handbook of Human Resources Management in Government, Second Edition is a comprehensive resource covering every aspect of HR in government organizations. It brings together leading experts to offer advice and insights on crucial issues such as diversity, EEO regulations and other legal issues, compensation, sexual harassment, and performance appraisal. In addition, the Handbook takes HR managers beyond their often limited problem-solving role to demonstrate how t
hey can take a more strategic role in their organizations.
Summary: The Handbook of Human Resources Management in Government, Second Edition is a comprehensive resource covering every aspect of HR in government organizations. It brings together leading experts to offer advice and insights on crucial issues such as diversity, EEO regulations and other legal issues, compensation, sexual harassment, and performance appraisal. In addition, the Handbook takes HR managers beyond their often limited problem-solving role to demonstrate how they can take a more strategic role in their organizations. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:2ND 05 Cover: Hardback Publisher:Jossey-Bass, Inc. Published: 12/28/2004 International: No
View Table of Contents
PART ONE: HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT IN A CHANGING ENVIRONMENT.
1. The Changing Role of the Human Resource Office 2. Beyond Civil Service: The Politics of the Emergent Paradigms 3. Radical Civil Service Reform: Ideology, Politics, and Policy 4. State Civil Service Systems
PART TWO: THE PUBLIC SECTOR WORKFORCE.
5. Staffing the Bureaucracy: Employee Recruitment and Selection 6. Toward a More Flexible Public Workforce: Issues and Implications 7. Valuing Diversity: The Changing Workplace 8. Managing an Aging Workforce: Trends, Issues, and Strategies 9. Using Technology in the Workplace 10. Using Volunteers in the Workplace
PART THREE: MANAGING HUMAN RESOURCES.
11. Public Human Resource Management: An Organizational Development Perspective 12. Practical Strategies for Increasing Ethical Behavior in the Workplace 13. Organizational Investment in Employee Development 14. Understanding Organizational Climate and Culture 15. Understanding and Using Conflict in the Workplace 16. Employee Unions and the Human Resource Management Function
PART FOUR: THE LEGAL ENVIRONMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT.
17. Human Resource Management Legal Issues 18. A Practical Guide to Affirmative Action 19. Sexual Harassment in the Workplace 20. Understanding the Americans with Disabilities Act
PART FIVE: MOTIVATING, ASSESSING, AND COMPENSATING EMPLOYEES.
21. The Role of the Manager in Employee Motivation 22. Designing Effective Performance Appraisal Systems 23. Effective Job Analysis Methods 24. A Practical Guide to Conducting Assessment Centers 25. Work Management and Job Evaluation Systems in a Government Environment 26. Designing and Creating an Effective Compensation Plan
PART SIX: TOOLS FOR INTEGRATING HUMAN RESOURCES INTO THE ORGANIZATIONAL MISSION.
27. Benchmarking Performance 28. Strategic Planning for Human Resource Managers 29. A Guide to Practical Human Resource Research 30. Human Resource Consultants and Outsourcing: Focusing on Local Government 31. Employee Benefits: From Health Care to Pensions 32. The Role of Human Resource Professionals in the Budgeting Process Conclusion: Toward Effective Human Resource Management
Used, Acceptable Condition, may show signs of wear and previous use. Please allow 4-14 business days for delivery. 100% Money Back Guarantee, Over 1,000,000 customers served.
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.