Summary: From foremost authorities in the field, this comprehensive volume synthesizes the breadth of current knowledge on the psychological processes underlying spirituality, religious behavior, and religious experience. Presented are cutting-edge theories, conceptual frameworks, methodologies, and empirical findings emerging from all psychological subdisciplines. Coverage includes the neural and cognitive bases of religiousness; social, personality, and developmental issues
; religion as a meaning system; and implications for behavior, mental health, and clinical practice. Seamlessly edited, the Handbook provides a definitive portrait of the current state of the science, fosters the development of integrative theory, and identifies vital directions for future research.
Summary: From foremost authorities in the field, this comprehensive volume synthesizes the breadth of current knowledge on the psychological processes underlying spirituality, religious behavior, and religious experience. Presented are cutting-edge theories, conceptual frameworks, methodologies, and empirical findings emerging from all psychological subdisciplines. Coverage includes the neural and cognitive bases of religiousness; social, personality, and developmental issues; religion as a meaning system; and implications for behavior, mental health, and clinical practice. Seamlessly edited, the Handbook provides a definitive portrait of the current state of the science, fosters the development of integrative theory, and identifies vital directions for future research. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:05 Cover: Hardback Publisher:Guilford Press Year Published: 2005 International: No
View Table of Contents
I. Foundations of the Psychology of Religion
1. Integrative Themes in the Current Science of the Psychology of Religion, Raymond F. Paloutzian and Crystal L. Park 2. Religiousness and Spirituality, Brian J. Zinnbauer and Kenneth I. Pargament 3. Measurement in the Psychology of Religion and Spirituality: Current Status and Evaluation, Peter C. Hill 4. Research Methods in the Psychology of Religion, Ralph W. Hood, Jr. and Jacob A. Belzen 5. Psychodynamic Psychologies and Religion: Past, Present, and Future, Jozef Corveleyn and Patrick Luyten 6. Evolutionary Psychology: An Emerging New Foundation for the Psychology of Religion, Lee A. Kirkpatrick
II. Religion through the Developmental Lens
7. Religious and Spiritual Development in Childhood, Chris J. Boyatzis 8. Religious Development from Adolescence to Middle Adulthood, Michael R. Levenson, Carolyn M. Aldwin, and Michelle D'Mello 9. Points of Connection: Gerontology and the Psychology of Religion, Susan H. McFadden 10. Religion's Role in Marriage and Parenting in Daily Life and during Family Crises, Annette Mahoney and Nalini Tarakeshwar
III. Religion and Basic Psychology Subdisciplines
11. The Neuropsychology of Religious and Spiritual Experience, Andrew B. Newberg and Stephanie K. Newberg 12. Cognitive Approaches to Religion, Elizabeth Weiss Ozorak 13. Emotion and Religion, Robert A. Emmons 14. The Role of Personality in Understanding Religious and Spiritual Constructs, Ralph L. Piedmont 15. Religion, Attitudes, and Social Behavior, Michael J. Donahue and Michael E. Nielsen
IV. The Construction and Expression of Religion
16. Religion and Meaning, Crystal L. Park 17. Religious and Spiritual Struggles, Julie Juola Exline and Ephraim Rose 18. Religious Conversion and Spiritual Transformation: A Meaning-System Analysis, Raymond F. Paloutzian 19. Mystical, Spiritual, and Religious Experiences, Ralph W. Hood, Jr. 20. Religious Practice, Ritual, and Prayer, Bernard Spilka 21. Fundamentalism and Authoritarianism, Bob Altemeyer and Bruce Hunsberger 22. Religion and Forgiveness, Michael E. McCullough, Giacomo Bono, and Lindsey M. Root 23. Religion, Morality, and Self-Control: Values, Virtues, and Vices, Anne L. Geyer and Roy F. Baumeister
V. Psychology of Religion and Applied Areas
24. Do Religion and Spirituality Influence Health?, Doug Oman and Carl E. Thoresen 25. Relationships of Religiosity and Spirituality with Mental Health and Psychopathology, Lisa Miller and Brien S. Kelley 26. The Religious Dimension of Coping: Advances in Theory, Research, and Practice, Kenneth I. Pargament, Gene G. Ano, and Amy B. Wachholtz 27. The Psychology of Religion in Clinical and Counseling Psychology, Edward P. Shafranske 28. From Advocacy to Science: The Next Steps in Workplace Spirituality Research, Robert A. Giacalone, Carole L. Jurkiewicz, and Louis W. Fry 29. Religious Violence, Terrorism, and Peace: A Meaning-System Analysis, Israela Silberman 30. One Step toward Integration and an Expansive Future, Crystal L. Park and Raymond F. Paloutzian
Order this book in the next 12 hours and 10 minutes and it ships by Noon CT tomorrow!
New Currently Sold Out
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.